PDA

View Full Version : Torn between two ropes!

Eastoahu
10-24-2014, 02:00 AM
Hello everyone, first post here on bogley :)
I'm in the market for a new canyon rope around ~9mm with low elongation and that will work smoothly with a Totem, and I've narrowed it down to two ropes:

The Imlay Canyonero 9.2mm
http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com/index.php?option=com_rokecwid&Itemid=108&view=ecwid&ecwid_product_id=10914028#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=10914028

And the Bluewater canyonator 9mm
https://bluewaterropes.com/product/9mm-canyonator/

I know they are very similar ropes but I can't decide which to get. It will mostly be used in Hawaii canyons which almost always involve lots of water.
Anyone have input on these ropes?? Thanks :D

Bootboy
10-24-2014, 05:06 AM
Imlay, without question.

The canyonator has a much thinner sheath and is much more prone to damage. I love bluewater everything, but the canyonator is really sub par for them.

Personally, I think the Imlay canyon fire is the best rope out there for the money. But if you're convinced you want a 9mm, go imlay.

hank moon
10-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Cayonero = higher abrasion resistance
Canyonator = better handling + smoother rappels (not so stiff)

Which is more important to you?

Canyonater
10-24-2014, 08:27 AM
I bought 9.2mm as my first rope thinking I would need the durability....but the size and weight is a huge liability. You may want to consider the 8.2mm if you are set on a poly rope, they hold up just fine.

MrAdam
10-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Avoid the Canyonater at all costs. I had a 220' Canyonater that is now in about 8 pieces due to multiple core shots. It is very prone to damage.

If you want a 9mm rope, I would personally suggest the Sterling C-IV. Its very abrasion resistant and as light as most 8mm ropes. Although, it can be bouncy when wet.

hank moon
10-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Hawaii = lots of water and sharp rock (AFAIK). Not the best place for less than 9mm ropes.

Kuya
10-24-2014, 10:33 AM
My Imlay rope seemed to do fine. I know the Maui Canyon team uses a lot of Sterling ropes though.

skelley
10-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Imlay. The bluewater rope is too bouncy.

Did you consider the 8.3mm rope?

Hello everyone, first post here on bogley :)
I'm in the market for a new canyon rope around ~9mm with low elongation and that will work smoothly with a Totem, and I've narrowed it down to two ropes:

The Imlay Canyonero 9.2mm
http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com/index.php?option=com_rokecwid&Itemid=108&view=ecwid&ecwid_product_id=10914028#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=10914028

And the Bluewater canyonator 9mm
https://bluewaterropes.com/product/9mm-canyonator/

I know they are very similar ropes but I can't decide which to get. It will mostly be used in Hawaii canyons which almost always involve lots of water.
Anyone have input on these ropes?? Thanks :D

Eastoahu
10-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the response guys, very helpful!! Just came across this rope too. http://www.sterlingrope.com/product/481841/P090/_/9mm_HTP

Marketed for arboring but seems about the same as the Imlay. Has anyone tried these "htp" ropes?

Avoid the Canyonater at all costs. I had a 220' Canyonater that is now in about 8 pieces due to multiple core shots. It is very prone to damage.

Damn, good to know!! Pretty sure the canyons here in Hawaii would eat those alive.

If you want a 9mm rope, I would personally suggest the Sterling C-IV. Its very abrasion resistant and as light as most 8mm ropes. Although, it can be bouncy when wet.

That'd probably be my ideal rope, a bit too pricey since I'm getting 300' of it. Also, I'm really excited about to super low bounce with the Imlay.

Hawaii = lots of water and sharp rock (AFAIK). Not the best place for less than 9mm ropes.

Yeah the island is a giant volcano and lava rock is pretty damn sharp. Are 9mm that much more durable than 8?? I guess the extra sheath would really help.

Imlay. The bluewater rope is too bouncy.

Did you consider the 8.3mm rope?

I haven't considered it actually, just lighter weight and faster rappel speed? The rope will almost always be wet..

Bootboy
10-25-2014, 01:32 AM
The HTP is good static rope but it's not specifically designed for canyons.

Go with the imlay canyonero.

hank moon
10-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Are 9mm that much more durable than 8?? I guess the extra sheath would really help.

Not necessarily; it depends on construction, materials, etc. But with all else being equal in those areas, a larger diameter is inherently more robust due to:

- more material = greater resistance to cuts and abrasion (more material must be cut/worn away before the rope is seriously damaged)
- Pressure/wear at a rub point is spread over a larger surface area
- more material bearing the load = lower stretch = reduced sawing/rubbing action

Another side benefit of larger diameter is reduced wear rate on descenders. Probably not an issue in Hawaii...

Mojave Silence
10-26-2014, 09:03 AM
HTP is a little heavy and bulky for canyoneering, excellent rope though.

ratagonia
10-27-2014, 07:07 AM
And...

If you order the Imlay rope from me, CanyoneeringUSA, you pay 10$ for shipping. Which to Hawaii amounts to a generous discount.

Tom

Eastoahu
10-30-2014, 12:38 AM
And...

If you order the Imlay rope from me, CanyoneeringUSA, you pay 10$ for shipping. Which to Hawaii amounts to a generous discount.

Tom

Awesome!! I will definitely be ordering some!! Got to play with some Canyon Fire today and I really liked it. Expect an order from me soon! (may order a pack as well ;)

Thanks!