PDA

View Full Version : Need help. Lost Drone (DJI Phantom 2)

Tim-Yun
10-14-2014, 11:16 PM

Scott P
10-15-2014, 06:26 AM
:facepalm1:

rockgremlin
10-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Go try and get help from a forest ranger, and he cites you.....typical. :roll:

Scott P
10-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Go try and get help from a forest ranger, and he cites you.....typical. :roll:

It was a park ranger and in this case, he/she was right in issuing a fine. Do we really need drones harassing people/wildlife and leaving little in the national parks?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865602447/Zion-park-officials-Drones-harassing-wildlife.html?pg=all

People have been harassed in the national parks as well.

Drones (such as the ones in this thread) have also crashed in the national parks and have created litter. This one crashed in one of the hot pools in Yellowstone National Park:

http://time.com/3088792/drone-yellowstone-park/

Bootboy
10-15-2014, 08:52 AM
ROFL!!!

Don
10-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Out of curiosity, how much was the fine?

nelsonccc
10-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Now that I know where it is I'm going to go get it.

Tim-Yun
10-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Now that I know where it is I'm going to go get it.
ohh if you get it I'd be very grateful. :2thumbs:Unfortunately I am not able to go there, because I'm from another country.
Can you foto place of crash?
Thank you!
Fine is 125$

Sombeech
10-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Out of curiosity, how much was the fine?

Valid point, maybe pay the fine and get your gear, get it over with.

Otherwise you post coordinates to a drone online and somebody might go snag it. I've been really wanting a GoPro drone or quad copter for some time now but they are expensive. If the fine is only a couple hundred dollars, maybe I can obtain said drone for the price of a park fine ;)

cchoc
10-15-2014, 01:44 PM
$5000 or 6 months in jail is the published fine, go for it and see if it's true.

Scott P
10-15-2014, 04:41 PM

Iceaxe
10-15-2014, 06:44 PM
$5000 or 6 months in jail is the published fine, go for it and see if it's true.

The published fine for what? Hiking off trail? Because that is all you would be doing it you retrieved the drone unless I'm missing something.

Tap'n on my smart phone.

cchoc
10-16-2014, 05:50 AM
The published fine for what? Hiking off trail? Because that is all you would be doing it you retrieved the drone unless I'm missing something.

Tap'n on my smart phone.

Flying a drone, of course. Hiking off trail would probably depend on how much damage you did and how much of a jerk you were if caught. :haha:

Scott P
10-16-2014, 06:28 AM
It is not illegal to hike off trail there, in fact there are some off-trail routes there betaed in some guidebooks.

nelsonccc
10-16-2014, 08:41 AM
ohh if you get it I'd be very grateful. :2thumbs:Unfortunately I am not able to go there, because I'm from another country.
Can you foto place of crash?
Thank you!
Fine is 125$

I was going to find and keep it. Finders keepers.

cchoc
10-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Then you just need to find a lost controller.:lol8:

ratagonia
10-16-2014, 10:19 AM
If caught, they would probably charge you with flying a drone. You could protest before the Magistrate that you were retrieving it, but it would require a trip before the Magistrate, which would cost you more than the cost of the ticket. Or the ranger might be reasonable about it - printing out a copy of this discussion and carrying it with you would be a good idea.

The drone is subject to confiscation, as something used to commit a crime.

Tom

ratagonia
10-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the report. I have forwarded it to Park staff for retrieval.

Tom

Tim-Yun
10-16-2014, 11:37 AM
People, I asked for help, and got problems only:ne_nau:
What is it "Finders keepers" ?

cchoc
10-16-2014, 12:01 PM

You broke the law. If you hadn't lost your drone you would likely have broken it again.

Scott P
10-16-2014, 01:19 PM
What is "Finders Keepers"?

It means what it says. Nelson was saying that whoever finds the drone keeps it. It's the American way. :wink:

Anyway, if this was an item that was innocently lost, I'm sure more people would be helpful. It's just that a lot of people don't like illegal drones in the National Parks, for reasons stated above. I guess if I was in the area (but I'm not), I would get it for you and give it back as long as you promised never to use it in a National Park again. Someone will probably get it eventually since it is litter, but they may not give it back.

Also, why didn't you try and get it yourself? I assume that the cliff band was blocking access? Did you try and climb down to it?

PS, your email address is Russian. Your name doesn't sound Russian though. Where are you from?

ratagonia
10-16-2014, 01:27 PM

You are attempting to coerce people to participate in your illegal activity, however obliquely. This is not a polite thing to do on a public forum.

You abandoned equipment in a public place.

US laws vary from place to place, but generally if you abandon equipment, whoever finds it can keep it. We call this "Finders Keepers". In this case, since the equipment was used in an illegal activity, I think the land manager would expect it to be turned in to them.

Sorry that you ran afoul of the regulations in the Park. Drones are new, so these regulations are not necessarily well-known.

Tom

Rob L
10-16-2014, 03:30 PM
"Finders Keepers" is actually an archaic (but valid) English common law regarding the ownership of lost property, certainly pre-dating the 14th century, but derived probably from Roman or Viking common law (yes, we got invaded).

It asserts that if a property is lost, then the owners no longer needs it (owns it) therefore the finder asserts ownership thereof.

I'm sure the American ruling is broadly the same. :mrgreen:

There is an interesting similarity with the age-old but still-used law of salvage, particularly applicable to maritime wrecks, but also (in modern times) to the finding of gold and other valuable hoards in farmers fields where there is no known owner (Treasure Trove) The finder keeps the money...sometimes millions...but has to share equally with the landowner.

However, in this case of the lost drone, the apparent owner has not "lost" it (in the legal sense), but any party who returns it to him is due salvage, which in a salvage court would normally amount to 50% of the value.

There's quite a well-known case of a Harrier jump-jet landing on a civilian cargo ship due to an airborne emergency. The ship's owner was awarded salvage under Lloyds Open Form.

But I don't suppose 50% of the value of this drone is worth the effort.

Tim-Yun
10-17-2014, 12:30 PM
I didn't know it was illegal.
You don't have signs o fwhat not to do, such as Singapore, Japan, Europe, even in Russia there are many signs that you cannot do! If i see sign "no flying drones" i never fly here.
Come to us in Russia and you will see real kind and good people which will always help:2thumbs:

PS, your email address is Russian. Your name doesn't sound Russian though. Where are you from?
I am from Russia, Moscow

Tim-Yun
10-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Hey, mr. find keeper, if you find my quadrocopter let me know, please:fitz:

caverdan
10-18-2014, 02:12 PM

rockgremlin
10-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Wow this thread took a turn for the weird....

I didn't know it was a crime to fly them drones through a National Park either...but I don't own a drone either, so I'm ignorant on all the drone rulez and regz.

Just wondering....if the drone was lost out in the Grand Canyon somewhere, how could the ranger cite him with a lack of evidence? (assuming he approached the ranger without a controller in hand)

ratagonia
10-19-2014, 01:30 PM

I didn't know it was a crime to fly them drones through a National Park either...but I don't own a drone either, so I'm ignorant on all the drone rulez and regz.

Just wondering....if the drone was lost out in the Grand Canyon somewhere, how could the ranger cite him with a lack of evidence? (assuming he approached the ranger without a controller in hand)

Rangers can cite you with NO evidence.

It can be contested, but such low-level fines rarely are.

Ranger: "what have you been up to?"

Me: "enjoying a beautiful day in our National Park".

Besides, it sounds like he did not have NO evidence. The perp stated that he was doing an illegal activity. So he perhaps had no evidence OTHER than the statement of the perp. If it went to court, they would likely fetch the hard evidence.

Tom

phatch
10-19-2014, 03:37 PM

I don't own or want a drone either. But it's been in the news over the last few months. As I recall, Zion NP was the first or one of the first to officially ban them. Then the NP followed within a couple weeks. It was in the park papers after that as I visited various NPS areas.

Scott P
10-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Come to us in Russia and you will see real kind and good people which will always help

I've been there and to 44 other countries as well. I hate to say it, but overall, Russia was the least friendly country I have been to. The drivers are some of the worst and least friendly in the world, and many people try to rip you off. The police are notoriously corrupt and threaten to throw you in jail if you don’t give them money. It's the only country where this has happened to me. Maybe if you aren't a foreigner, it's different though.

I did find the rural areas to be reasonably friendly though, but not the cities.

I wouldn't doubt if it would take a back country permit to retrieve your drone legally.

You don’t need a permit for day hikes (even off trail), only overnighters.

I would think that if they gave you a ticket for flying it, they would have let you retrieve it or done it themselves.

I’m pretty sure that they would let him retrieve it. It is perfectly legal to hike off trail there. In fact, after looking at the location carefully, it appears to be either along or close to the approach to the technical climb of Mount Hayden.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Bogley members live hundreds of miles/kms from Imperial Point. I don't think many of them friendly or not would make a special trip out there just to retrieve a drone for someone. You would be better off asking around the visitor center itself.

Also, keep in mind that the road to Imperial Point will be closed for the winter in only a few days.

I'm sorry (really) that you lost your drone and understand that it was an accident and that you didn't know the rules, but I think the fact that people are crashing drones (you are not the only one) in the National Parks makes a good case for the rule.

Is there a reason you are unable to look for the drone yourself? It would not be illegal to do so and I'm sure the NPS would actually appreciate it if it were removed. Did you try and it was too hard to get to?

Tim-Yun
10-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Did you try and it was too hard to get to?
No, i don't try, because i don't know safe trails.
But on another forum told that can be reached without climbing equipment on the way to Mount Hayden:ne_nau:
Scott thank you for help

Sombeech
10-20-2014, 11:49 AM
You could have been using your drone as a peeping Tom

Pervert Turns His Drone Into A Peeping Tom: http://youtu.be/U9cw-PaXJwU

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rockgremlin
10-20-2014, 03:52 PM
You could have been using your drone as a peeping Tom

Pervert Turns His Drone Into A Peeping Tom: http://youtu.be/U9cw-PaXJwU

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, to spy on all of those bikini clad babes sunbathing on some distant nearly impossible to reach crag overlooking the grand canyon...

There's a big difference between the north rim of the Grand Canyon and Havasupai.

Lonnie Utah
10-29-2014, 03:30 PM

You're getting problems because you were conducting an illegal activity in one of our beloved National Parks. As lovers of the outdoors, we're not going to help you facilitate those sorts of activities.

If it's any consolation, the North Rim shuts down for the winter soon, and the winter snows will quickly cover you drone.

nelsonccc
10-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Too late. It's gone.

mzamp
10-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Darn, we just did over the rim trash pick-up a few weeks ago. All I got were hats, broken sun glasses, and water bottles. Although right next to me they got an i-phone 5. Next year I'm picking imperial point instead of mather point.

Glenn
10-29-2014, 08:56 PM
I don't own or want a drone either. But it's been in the news over the last few months. As I recall, Zion NP was the first or one of the first to officially ban them. Then the NP followed within a couple weeks. It was in the park papers after that as I visited various NPS areas.

Zion banned them after several people reported drones buzzing bighorn sheep on the east side of the park. This was late last year, IIRC.

Tim-Yun
10-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Darn, we just did over the rim trash pick-up a few weeks ago. All I got were hats, broken sun glasses, and water bottles. Although right next to me they got an i-phone 5. Next year I'm picking imperial point instead of mather point.
it is not talking about Imperial Point?

nelsonccc (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?396-nelsonccc)
you're stupid. Your jokes are not funny:crazycobasa:

Chivas
10-30-2014, 01:12 AM
Any American with a hunting license should be allowed to blast these dumb drones out of the sky with a 12-gauge.

oldno7
10-30-2014, 05:21 AM
blue stripes

rockgremlin
10-30-2014, 11:03 AM
You broke the law. If you hadn't lost your drone you would likely have broken it again.

Yup...Those laws are put in place to save you from yourself.

Iceaxe
10-30-2014, 11:07 AM
3 pages and you guys haven't given him his drone back yet.... shame on you....

rockgremlin
10-30-2014, 11:12 AM
.....Come to us in Russia and you will see real kind and good people....

....nelsonccc (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?396-nelsonccc) you're stupid. Your jokes are not funny:crazycobasa:

:lol8:

nelsonccc
10-30-2014, 12:38 PM
it is not talking about Imperial Point?

nelsonccc (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?396-nelsonccc)
you're stupid. Your jokes are not funny:crazycobasa:

Who say's I'm joking? And I'm always funny. Just happened to be there and just happened to need a drone. I'm glad you lost it. Finders Keepers!

Glenn
10-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Who say's I'm joking? And I'm always funny. Just happened to be there and just happened to need a drone. I'm glad you lost it. Finders Keepers!

Pics or it didn't happen. If so, nice get.

DiscGo
11-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F74VKHUwn8s