PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming petroglyphs...

goomba271
09-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Hi All -

I recently completed my first bicycle tour across the US. Along the way I made it a point to visit a few rock art sites. A couple of the areas were near Dubois, WY and one was out near Thermopolis, WY. Most of the areas discussed here on Bogley are in the four corners region but rock art can be found throughout the world and in nearly all parts of the US.

After seeing the night photography posted recently, I'm hesitant to post these. The night photos are amazing and my photos (taken with a cheap 'point&shoot') are so-so, but... here they are:

tozo
09-16-2014, 05:24 PM
hey Goomba
those petroglyphs look awesome thanks for posting. you've inspired me to head up that way at some point and check them out. They look pretty wild. I haven't seen designs like those before. Also sounds like a great bike trip. How long were you out on the road?

Swimswithtrout
09-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Wow, that's a very unique style ! I don't know that I've ever seen anything like those before.

goomba271
09-17-2014, 02:20 PM
hey Goomba
those petroglyphs look awesome thanks for posting. you've inspired me to head up that way at some point and check them out. They look pretty wild. I haven't seen designs like those before. Also sounds like a great bike trip. How long were you out on the road?

Thanks for your comments. They are claimed to be the "Dinwoody Style" although only one of the three sites are actually up in the Dinwoody Lake area.

The bike trip from Seattle to Halifax took 3 months and was more of a roundabout tour than a direct route. I took in Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, Niagra Falls, etc. - loots of places I've never seen although I'm nearly 60 and have lived in the US all my life.

goomba271
09-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Wow, that's a very unique style ! I don't know that I've ever seen anything like those before.

Hi Swims - I've been a rock art enthusiast for nearly 25 years and I'd never seen anything quite like them either. As mentioned in my reply to tozo, they are referred to as the "Dinwoody Style." A Google search explains.

RockArtRitter
05-23-2015, 07:43 PM
How did you find these sites? I've been able to put together some sort of bread trail of where to look from bits and pieces online and a guy whos visited gave me some directions but arent very detailed. I would like to see them sometime this summer. Thank you.