PDA

View Full Version : Gear CRITR Rappel Device

Chanobelli
08-01-2014, 08:52 AM
How many of you have used the CRITR Rappel Device? what are your thoughts Likes? Dislikes? I'm looking in to adding it to my gear and just wanting a little input from those of you who have had experience with it. http://www.canyonwerks.com/critr-rappel-device/

Thanks,

Eric Holden
08-01-2014, 09:17 AM
I have it, I love it! Best rappel device I have used. I have used figure 8, Pirana, ATC, grigri and even a munter hitch for rappelling, definitely love my CRITR!

Chanobelli
08-01-2014, 09:18 AM
I have it, I love it! Best rappel device I have used.
Thanks for the info.

harness man
08-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks Eric:mrgreen:
and thanks for posting Chanobelli
there is a pretty extensive CRITR thread on canyoncollective with some good discussion of some of the fine points
And the blue CRITRs just arrived....

dallison
08-01-2014, 12:54 PM
I ordered 3 back in May. I've used them a bunch and they are AWESOME! I love the ability to easily adjust friction on the fly. I HIGHLY recommend them. Great design...huge improvement over the other devices I've used.

Blue? I need to order some more.:nod:

harness man
08-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks dallison:mrgreen:
the CRITR was over two years in the making, and the most research and development we have ever poured into a design.
It has been very rewarding to see CRITRs in the canyons and have others experiencing the benefits we have.

Spartacus
08-01-2014, 03:27 PM
It's my favorite. Here's what I like: 1) rappels double rope smoother than ats, 2) way easy to add friction, 3) big guys can use skinnier ropes, 4) easy to add and withdraw friction while rappelling double/single strand, 5) flip device to spread out wear, 6) easy lock off for both double and single rope.

harness man
08-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks Spartacus
We need you to write promotional materials:mrgreen:!
Best
Todd and Desi

DesertDuke
08-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Sounds like it is good for lots of friction (big guy skinny rope), how is it with fat ropes that don't need much friction? I have a fat, static rope I like that just doesn't work well with the two types of ATCs I have but does fine with figure 8s. How would it be with something like that?

harness man
08-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Hi Desert
the short answer: it really depends on the rope and how well it flows thru a device.
The CRITR runs about one setting higher than the Pirana.
So if you usually rappel on the LOWEST Pirana setting then you will probably have too much friction on the CRITR.
It is hard to compare to ATC friction.
But generally the CRITR is NOT good (too high friction) on broken in fat ropes.
Thanks!

darhawk
08-03-2014, 02:57 PM
I really enjoy the CRITR and agree it has more friction than the Pirana. I'm not sure what counts as a "fat rope," but I use a 9.2 that is definitely broken in and I find the CRITR just fine, even double-stranded, as long as I don't put it around either of the feet. Once I do that, it's too much friction. I'm about 190 and carry a pretty full pack.

harness man
08-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi Darhawk
Fat rope would be 10mm (and above) for sure.
We have seen some REALLY crusty and stiff old 9mm that did not run very smooth in the CRITR.
maybe it would not run thru anything very smooth except a big eight.
Best Todd

Kuya
08-04-2014, 03:45 PM
How many of you have used the CRITR Rappel Device? what are your thoughts Likes? Dislikes? I'm looking in to adding it to my gear and just wanting a little input from those of you who have had experience with it. http://www.canyonwerks.com/critr-rappel-device/

Thanks,

Best thing about the CRITR is the customer support from the Owners! They sure do take care of their customers! Love it.

harness man
08-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks Kuya
we try!

deagol
08-05-2014, 08:35 AM
I will add my voice to those who love the CRITR. I prefer it over the Totem and it's way better than a Pirana. Very easy to add friction without coming out of brake position (which is why I choose it over the Totem). It also stays on the biner better and doesnt clank around. Very easy to set up in various friction modes. No need to get fancy with all sorts of different ways to rig it, as the standard rigging options are better than the fancy rigging options of certain other devices, IMO. It's also nice to support a smaller grass-roots company.

Eric Holden
08-05-2014, 11:23 AM
it's way better than a Pirana.

:2thumbs:

cougboy65
08-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I love my CRITR. I bought mine the second day they were out. I've used it several times now and I love the ability to add additional friction on the fly. My highest rappel with it so far is 230 feet in a waterfall and it worked great. If you haven't already bought one, you should.

Chanobelli
08-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Just got mine yesterday and can't wait to try it out this weekend. Thanks for all the input.

harness man
05-28-2015, 10:19 AM
New CRITR2's have arrived (finally!)
Thanks to everyone for contributing suggestions for the latest version of the CRITR.
CRITR2 and Original CRITR

harness man
05-28-2015, 10:27 AM
The CRITR2 has been tweaked to run smoother on fatter ropes for smaller people
(while still excelling with big people on skinny ropes).
The friction 'sweet' spots are now a little wider and more rounded edges have reduced any need for 'break-in' of a new device.
Slightly lighter weight at 4.4 ounces
a bargain :mrgreen: at $39.95
Available now at http://canyonwerks.com

Best, Todd and Desi

ScottM
05-28-2015, 09:04 PM
The CRITR2 has been tweaked to run smoother on fatter ropes for smaller people
(while still excelling with big people on skinny ropes).
The friction 'sweet' spots are now a little wider and more rounded edges have reduced any need for 'break-in' of a new device.
Slightly lighter weight at 4.4 ounces
a bargain :mrgreen: at $39.95
Available now at http://canyonwerks.com

Best, Todd and Desi

Todd, How far out are the BLUE v2?

harness man
05-29-2015, 07:30 AM
Hi Scott
The blue colored CRITR2's in about one week.
Thanks for asking!

whansen
05-29-2015, 09:53 AM
Any updates on availability of your packs?

lucach
05-29-2015, 04:38 PM

I suggest to make a version with 2 slots and also a version in steel (instead of aluminum) that can be smaller and last 100x longer in Utah canyons.

harness man
05-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Whansen, sorry that packs got delayed!
We are playing catch-up with CRITR2s and rope bags this week, then will resume pack production next week...
Lucach-
We are considering a steel version of the CRITR2 still, but even down-sized versions in CAD are yielding weights that are a lot heavier-
plus machining time will almost double...hard to justify on the 'best-bang-for-buck' scale.
Have been keeping an eye on the nice Edelrid steel carabiner- also lasts a lot longer (and works well with the CRITR2).
If folks begin to adopt the edelrid biner (heavier, more expensive, but wears longer) then maybe that is an indication that a steel CRITR2 might sell.

I have never used the two slots on the ATS, how do you use them?
Best, Todd

tcott
06-09-2015, 12:54 PM

Blue CRITR2 is available now.

http://www.adventurepluslc.com/canyon/rappel-devices/critr.html

harness man
06-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks, TJ!

2065toyota
06-09-2015, 04:02 PM
I know if there was a steel version available it would NOT be in my gear purchase list. They are $40 and last for plenty of canyons. It is a wear/disposable item. Not meant to be a lifelong purchase. Maybe I've just done too many other hobbies, but canyoneering is by far the cheapest sport I've every engaged in. I can break more stuff on my buggy in one weekend than my entire canyon gear set costs.