PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney in the Subway

jman
07-28-2014, 11:03 PM
https://medium.com/@MittRomney/a-family-tradition-f18c5d60c0e3

Politics aside....

We followed family tradition this year by taking 5 of our 22 grandkids, ages 10 through 13, on a trip through the American West. My Mom and Dad began the tradition, showing their grandchildren the majesty of our country and teaching them about the sacrifices and character of the pioneers. We visited Goblin Valley, Spooky Gulch, Peekaboo Slot Canyon, Capitol Reef National Park, Bryce National Park, Zion National Park, Lake Powell, Rainbow Arch, Grand Canyon, and the four falls in the Havasupai Reservation. All totaled, we hiked over 50 miles: quite a feat for the young...

accadacca
07-29-2014, 07:10 AM
That's cool. Sounds like a great time for his fam.

hank moon
07-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Mitt's a canyoneer! Need to get him signed up for the CAC :)

Iceaxe
07-29-2014, 09:49 AM
We visited Goblin Valley, Spooky Gulch, Peekaboo Slot Canyon, Capitol Reef National Park, Bryce National Park, Zion National Park, Lake Powell, Rainbow Arch, Grand Canyon, and the four falls in the Havasupai Reservation. All totaled, we hiked over 50 miles: quite a feat for the young—and for Ann and me.

Not electing Romney president was a huge American f**k-up. The more I learn about this guy the more I believe that, he had my vote after he straightened out the Utah Olympic mess and turned it into a huge money making venture for the state of Utah. Knowing that he visits and loves the same places I do is another big bonus. YMMV

jman
07-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Mitt's a canyoneer! Need to get him signed up for the CAC :)

lol. I'm sure he could get the funds needed to facilitiate safety and education in the sport. :)

He (the son?) may not be an expert but hey, looks better than most other people I've seen rappel this spot.

What is that, 2" webbing through a D-ring loop?

flatiron
07-29-2014, 09:57 AM
. YMMV

Ya - YMMV is right.
Maybe don't go there on bogley. But ymmv.

hank moon
07-29-2014, 10:15 AM
lol. I'm sure he could get the funds needed to facilitiate safety and education in the sport. :)

He (the son?) may not be an expert but hey, looks better than most other people I've seen rappel this spot.

What is that, 2" webbing through a D-ring loop?

Good body position, but the rap setup is sub-standard. Webbing through a fig 8, ok, fine, but take a closer look (https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.net/max/1600/1*QY_FS0ddAHTB3hx3lQsgfA.jpeg) at the "harness".

And somebody get some helmets on them Romneys! Too bad Mitt's not on the campaign trail* - bet the SS would have made him wear one.

* Subway's definitely a better trail...

accadacca
07-29-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm waiting for the helmet police to show up. :lol8:

oldno7
07-29-2014, 12:29 PM
yea--Romney is no were near as safety conscience as this guy.

Maybe he should be the poster boy for helmets

elenius
07-29-2014, 04:26 PM
"unexpected obstacles" -- Hmm. When you get the permit, you have to sign a paper saying that everyone in your group knows how to rappel, ascend a rope, etc etc. Plus, Tom's beta spells out every obstacle in great detail...

taatmk
07-29-2014, 07:22 PM
I wonder if Mr Romney needed to get a permit. He could have bought out the entire week of permits if they'd have let him....

stefan
07-29-2014, 07:24 PM
And somebody get some helmets on them Romneys!

and shoes too??

jman
07-29-2014, 07:26 PM
At least he didn't commit the cardinal sin - calling in Zionz.

Scott P
07-29-2014, 08:23 PM
"unexpected obstacles"

Maybe he was referring to the permit system? :wink:

Byron
07-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Not electing Romney president was a huge American f**k-up. Absolutely true.

Oh well, I'm glad to see that he and his family are having a good time rather than having nearly half the idiots in this country spitting in their faces.

Byron
07-29-2014, 08:31 PM
What is that, 2" webbing through a D-ring loop?Oh heck...I've gone 40' straight down, hand over hand...buck naked.

jman
07-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Oh heck...I've gone 40' straight down, hand over hand...buck naked.

LOL. I don't doubt that you have!

Even if their setup is sub-par, it still beats 80% of what you would see from other folks there.

(PS - Nice catch on the harness closeup, Hank. Didn't notice that).

ratagonia
07-30-2014, 07:39 AM
"unexpected obstacles" -- Hmm. When you get the permit, you have to sign a paper saying that everyone in your group knows how to rappel, ascend a rope, etc etc. Plus, Tom's beta spells out every obstacle in great detail...

Don't know what permits you are getting elenius, but mine don't say that. The Wilderness Desk is a SHALL ISSUE desk. I think if you read the permit carefully, you will see that what you are signing just acknowledges that knowing how to rappel and ascend would be a good idea, but they are not in a position to require it.

ratagonia
07-30-2014, 07:41 AM
I'm waiting for the helmet police to show up. :lol8:

It would be shame to lose one of those grandkids due to Mitt's incompetence. However, the Helmet Police is a reality-based organization, and thus has no interaction with Mr. Romney himself.

:moses:

elenius
07-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Don't know what permits you are getting elenius, but mine don't say that. The Wilderness Desk is a SHALL ISSUE desk. I think if you read the permit carefully, you will see that what you are signing just acknowledges that knowing how to rappel and ascend would be a good idea, but they are not in a position to require it.

Is that a current one? I was there in June this year, and the one I signed had all the canyoneering stuff in one column on the left, (on the back side of the permit), which they asked me to check. Then other checkboxes for backpacking and whatever in one or two more columns to the right of that, which I did not have to check.

ratagonia
07-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Is that a current one? I was there in June this year, and the one I signed had all the canyoneering stuff in one column on the left, (on the back side of the permit), which they asked me to check. Then other checkboxes for backpacking and whatever in one or two more columns to the right of that, which I did not have to check.

That one was pretty old, but I don't think the language has changed much. But... the Park Service can ask whether you have the "right gear", but they cannot specify what the right gear is. They can ask whether you have the requisite skills, but cannot specify what those skills are. They can suggest that certain skills would be useful, and there is a checkbox to show I have received that information, but they cannot require it.

Your safety is your responsibility.

Tom

Iceaxe
07-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Zion backcountry desk is very careful not to demand any requirements or prerequisites on their permits. If they do they become responsible, which means you can sue them if things go wrong.... it's a lawyer thing....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

moab mark
07-31-2014, 08:04 AM
So is that the new rappel? Seems like I remember some one saying you no longer go across where the logs use to be?

jman
07-31-2014, 08:15 AM
So is that the new rappel? Seems like I remember some one saying you no longer go across where the logs use to be?

Yup. Tom installed those a year or two back.

ratagonia
07-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Yup. Tom installed those a year or two back.

Oct 2012 actually.

Not the most handlineable of rappels, but it is the best and shortest line on that side of the canyon (for handlining).

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/anchor-work-in-the-subway/

Tom

Iceaxe
07-31-2014, 01:50 PM
I remember some one saying you no longer go across where the logs use to be?

The logs are back. Looking through my pictures for the past 20 years I noticed the logs are new every couple of years. Just looking at my pictures I'm guessing the logs have washed out at least 6 times in the past 20 years. When the logs are washed out new logs magically appear a few days latter.

That doesn't mean you should go unprepared.

:cool2:

hank moon
08-17-2014, 10:54 AM
and shoes too??

Well...eventually. But bare is fun, too. Cold water to sunny slickrock in bare feet - yummmm!