PDA

View Full Version : Broadbanding Canyons?

Scott P
06-25-2014, 06:03 AM
I was going to post on the other thread, but maybe this could make a new thread.

Comment on another thread:

The piss off is in Broad-Banding a previously descended, not-yet-published canyon, not in the descending of it.

I guess my question is how to various people decide which canyons to broadband and which ones not to?

My own philosophy is that if I find a canyon on my own and without being told about it, I'm free to do as I wish with the beta. Even so, if someone doesn't want me to publish, I wouldn't anyway. If someone tells me about a canyon and asks me not to publish, then I definitely don't.

How to people decide which canyons to publish that they find on their own? I know it is different for everyone.

Case in point:

Many years ago, I was told about and given beta for Boundary Canyon. I was asked to not share the information because someone wanted to guide it and guiding wasn't allowed in the park.

I never did share the information, but it did get published by others.

Of course everyone is different, but how do you decide?

Bo_Beck
06-25-2014, 06:20 AM
I'm with you Scott. If there's a canyon that I find on my own.....The right to share with others is my choice. Like you Scott, I did a second descent of "Checkerboard" with the first descensionist, and he requested that I not spray about it. It remained pretty obscure for quite some time. Now others have discovered it and it has become common knowledge. As you can notice that the canyon was named by the first descensionist to distract others as to it's whereabouts when someone would ask , "what canyon did you descend?". "Oh! Is that by Fat Mans Misery?" ;-)

Another example: A few years ago I made my second ascent attempt of The East Temple. I got my "second" set of beta from Buzz Burrell. He had no problem giving me the route that he and Jared Campbell had used on their 1hr. and 45 min. "car to car" ascent a few years back. The fellow I hiked the route with is good friends with, and hiking buddy of Courtney Purcells. I've done a few hikes with Courtney and know to a degree what he is in it for. Courtney politely asked me not to dispell the route info. on Tanya's and my website or in our book. I obliged, and for good reason. As you may have noticed, Courtney's book "Zion Summits" is no longer in print. He revisited many of the peaks he had previously published info. for, and realized the impact caused by his writing had been dramatic. I respect Courtney for his decision to halt printing of his book. The East Temple was amazing, and if someone really wants to ascend, then it is worth tracking down someone who has done it and pick their brain!

taatmk
06-25-2014, 12:21 PM
My own philosophy is that if I find a canyon on my own and without being told about it, I'm free to do as I wish with the beta. Even so, if someone doesn't want me to publish, I wouldn't anyway. If someone tells me about a canyon and asks me not to publish, then I definitely don't.

I would concur with this point of view....

Iceaxe
06-25-2014, 04:49 PM
This does an excellent job of describing the don't broadband argument.....

http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2014/06/pikabu-1403698939-2121867834.gif (http://www.lowbird.com/)

TommyBoy
06-25-2014, 05:01 PM
I think part of it to depends on the ease of access. For example Checkerboard canyon still doesn't get much traffic even with the beta out there, because it requires a bit more of a hike in, a long hike out the narrows, and a long car shuttle to set up. I'm sure it get more than it used to, but it's not being swarmed by the masses. Now if it was easily accessible it would be a different story since it's a really great canyon.