PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Fiery Furnace 2014

WorkBad
05-30-2014, 06:42 PM
10 April 2014, Natalie and I made our way through the Fiery Furnace, Arches National Park. Permits were obtained at the front desk a few days prior to our adventure. I'm keeping the details intentionally short due to the restrictions of this area. I think April is a great time to hang out in S. Utah and Arches N.P. is no exception, low heat, sun isn't quite as intense, bugs are at a minimum, perfect! Enjoy the photos.

Slot Machine
05-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Nice!

moab mark
05-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Great report. I have a suggestion for all doing Lomatium. Since we can no longer rappel off of Abbey Arch. If you look at that one picture with the rope groove, this is the new spot. Please extend your webbing down into the small pothole or fiddlestick it. That tree is along ways from the edge and the park service will crap a brick if we create a ton of grooves there.

WorkBad
05-31-2014, 04:59 PM
Great report. I have a suggestion for all doing Lomatium. Since we can no longer rappel off of Abbey Arch. If you look at that one picture with the rope groove, this is the new spot. Please extend your webbing down into the small pothole or fiddlestick it. That tree is along ways from the edge and the park service will crap a brick if we create a ton of grooves there.

Thanks Mark! Also... Thanks for pointing this rappel/rope groove situation out. I don't feel like you are pointing the finger at me but I should mention that in my pic Natalie is actually on a courtesy anchor and was extended further out for myself. Annnnd, as much as I'd like to see someone try to crap a brick :twisted: ... These grooves were left by someone who didn't properly extend their anchor. People need to bring a TON of webbing for this rap and know how to retrieve it too, don't leave it all up there.:nono: I used the tree way, way far back as my anchor and retrieved all of it. I agree, a Fiddle Stick would be great for this rappel due to the near 90 degree angle of pull.

moab mark
05-31-2014, 05:59 PM
no I was by no means pointing a finger at you. First time we rappeled from that tree yeard ago we had to ascend it. The ropes had gotten twisted and ee couldn't budge them. The arch is a much better anchor. Did you hit krill while you were there?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WorkBad
05-31-2014, 06:07 PM
no I was by no means pointing a finger at you. First time we rappeled from that tree yeard ago we had to ascend it. The ropes had gotten twisted and ee couldn't budge them. The arch is a much better anchor. Did you hit krill while you were there?

Dang! That must have sucked, I can see how any amount of twists would produce a tough pull for sure. We had a time constraint that day and had to bail quickly back to the parking to meet some people, so no Krill. I did hike up the drainage though to check it out, looks fun. Wanna take us someday? :naughty:

Andrew

moab mark
05-31-2014, 06:07 PM
So are we really rappeling off of Abbey Arch when were rappeling off of the base and mot actually the Arch? Its really a toad stool with an Arch growing out of the top.:)

moab mark
05-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Dang! That must have sucked, I can see how any amount of twists would produce a tough pull for sure. We had a time constraint that day and had to bail quickly back to the parking to meet some people, so no Krill. I did hike up the drainage though to check it out, looks fun. Wanna take us someday? :naughty:

Andrew

Pm me sometime.

Iceaxe
05-31-2014, 08:57 PM
http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=74333&d=1401500139

Are folks rappelling down the main watercourse now Abbey Arch is off limits? Is that were this picture is taken?

Might be a good place for a bolt station, but that would now need to be approved by the park. I can see by the picture this situation needs to be addressed quickly or we will have a big ass mess.

What is the American Canyon Coalition up to these days? This might be a good problem for them to work on.

:cool2:

moab mark
05-31-2014, 10:15 PM
Yes that is the spot. There is a big pine tree about 15 ft from the rope groove. It is a very difficult pull.

moab mark
06-02-2014, 05:55 AM
Work Bad
How much webbing did it take for a clean pull?

WorkBad
06-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Great question, about 70 ft including knots. I estimate the tree to be further back, probably 25-30ft back? I brought exactly 100 and had cut about 30 ft off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk