PDA

View Full Version : Pine, which switchback for exit car now

dougr
05-29-2014, 05:33 AM
I know the uppermost (3rd) is frowned upon. Lowest (1st) or middle (2nd) as the exit point?

Iceaxe
05-29-2014, 06:04 AM
Middle switchback is the one you want.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

hank moon
05-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Counting the bridge over Pine Creek at the bottom as the first switchback, you want the 3rd one, which makes a right-hand turn if you are driving UP the road.

WorkBad
05-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Here's a graphic of where to park. Sorry it is small.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?70213-Pine-Creek-Canyon

ratagonia
05-29-2014, 08:05 AM
Here's that graphic transferred. Yes, the nomenclature is ambiguous.

Parking is at the "second" switchback. Counting the turn at the bottom over the bridge as "first", and not counting the switchbacks at the west end at all (???), there are three switchbacks.

jman
05-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Speaking of the switchback...

Two years ago, I had some friends who refused to take the proper switchback exit (the 2nd one) and took the highest switchback exit. My friend Jeff and I timed both parties.

It was basically a "race" from the top (3rd switchback) and the (2nd switchback). We didn't run, but we were determined to win.

Jeff and I beat our other friends by 20 minutes! Plus, we were able to take two jumps into the swimhole including a short swim and was still 20minutes faster than they were. In fact, we jumped into our vehicle and were waiting for them at the upper switchback before they even arrived. :bootyshake:

Food for thought if you are *determined* to take the upper switchback.

ratagonia
05-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Speaking of the switchback...

Two years ago, I had some friends who refused to take the proper switchback exit (the 2nd one) and took the highest switchback exit. My friend Jeff and I timed both parties.

It was basically a "race" from the top (3rd switchback) and the (2nd switchback). We didn't run, but we were determined to win.

Jeff and I beat our other friends by 20 minutes! Plus, we were able to take two jumps into the swimhole including a short swim and was still 20minutes faster than they were. In fact, we jumped into our vehicle and were waiting for them at the upper switchback before they even arrived. :bootyshake:

Food for thought if you are *determined* to take the upper switchback.

And just a reminder that because of difficult-to-solve erosion problems, the upper trail to the third switchback is closed. Please do not use it.

Tom

hank moon
05-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Park at the 2nd switchback.

No, the middle one.

No wait, the 3rd one.

Ok, it's a graph-off - here's mine. Top it if you dare!

Taylor
05-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Hank wins. That is the third switchback. Tom, how do you not count the western switchbacks? Some kind of switchback gerrymandering, I suppose.

ratagonia
05-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Hank wins. That is the third switchback. Tom, how do you not count the western switchbacks? Some kind of switchback gerrymandering, I suppose.

It's not me. I am just following local custom.

Tom