PDA

View Full Version : How To Canyoneering and campgrounds near Zion

wasatchback
05-23-2014, 07:19 AM
Have reservations for the Subway and a couple other canyons this summer, but was unable to get reservations at Watchman. Any suggestions on a not too seedy place to camp near Zion? I hate to sacrifice a whole day waiting for a spot at the South campground.

Thanks!

Taylor
05-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Call Zion River Resort in Virgin. Reserve a tent or RV site. Very convenient to Kolob Terrace canyons. Very clean, showers, nice pool and store.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Scott P
05-23-2014, 09:01 AM
In summer, it tends to be really hot for sleeping at low elevations. It's kind of hard to go to sleep when it's 95 outside (of course it's not always that warm). Since you are going in summer, I'd suggest trying to get a spot at Lava Point or just outside the park towards Kolob Reservoir. It's not that far from the Subway anyway.

mzamp
05-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Try the Ponderosa.

Scott P
05-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Try the Ponderosa.

Nice place (we're camping there soon), but it's a really long way from the Subway. If you are doing something like Checkerboard, Orderville, Birch, Englestead, Pine, or even something in the main Zion Canyon, Ponderosa is king, but not so much if you are doing canyon like the Subway, Boundary, Kolob, etc. It's a long way from that area, especially if you pick up your permit the night before, drive to the Ponderosa and then all the way back to the Subway.

darhawk
05-24-2014, 10:34 AM
The road from Virgin to Subway (Kolob Terrace Road) has good camping just off the right-hand side as you're heading to the park.

Bootboy
05-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Try the Ponderosa.

+1

LNT