PDA

View Full Version : How To Cheater stick for Imlay canyon?

nkanarik
05-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Any suggestion for how long of a cheater stick I should bring with me to Zion Imlay canyon?
One option is a simple ~3' dowel, but if I need a longer one, I'll bring a collapsible one. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

ratagonia
05-16-2014, 06:34 AM
Any suggestion for how long of a cheater stick I should bring with me to Zion Imlay canyon?
One option is a simple ~3' dowel, but if I need a longer one, I'll bring a collapsible one. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Better, more fun, is to escape the potholes without cheating.

But if you do, about 4 feet is probably the right length.

Tom

nkanarik
05-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks. Will use as backup...can afford the extra weight ;)

Bootboy
05-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Better, more fun, is to escape the potholes without cheating.

But if you do, about 4 feet is probably the right length.

Tom

+1

Hooking is for pussies. Haha!

Just kidding. If you need a cheater stick, just find 2 or 3 sections of old tent pole.

LNT

Bootboy
05-16-2014, 08:42 PM

Thanks

When are you going? If it's a few weeks out, I'll make ya a deal in some Stoat bags (sand bags) once I get my shipment from the factory.

Pm me is interested.

LNT

nkanarik
05-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Might do it in ~+1 week from now (depends on the conditions/whether).

Erik B
05-18-2014, 10:38 AM

Thanks

Avalanche probe, duct tape, hook.

That ought to get you 8-10ft of reach. I've packed the cheater stick along a handful of times and ALWAYS regretted it.

Mountaineer
05-20-2014, 11:44 AM

That ought to get you 8-10ft of reach. I've packed the cheater stick along a handful of times and ALWAYS regretted it.

X2

ratagonia
05-20-2014, 07:41 PM

So.... how is that NOT a cheater stick?

I'm not clear on how your statements don't clash. Avalanche Probe, Duct Tape, Hook = a cheater stick. YES?????

Tom

Bootboy
05-20-2014, 07:50 PM

I'm not clear on how your statements don't clash. Avalanche Probe, Duct Tape, Hook = a cheater stick. YES?????

Tom

I don't think he's making that assertion. He's just giving an explanation of his version

BTW: hooking is for pussies.

LNT

Taylor
05-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Funny, Tom, I was thinking the same thing.

My "cheater stick" is a golf ball retriever extendable pole with the basket broken off. Works great with a hook duct-taped to the end and an etrier hanging from the hook. As for using a hook to escape potholes being "less fun", I have to disagree. The sooner I climb out of a hypo-inducing swimmer, the better(more fun). Lots of ways to escape, lots of tools in the bag is our m.o.

Bootboy
05-21-2014, 03:44 AM
Funny, Tom, I was thinking the same thing.

My "cheater stick" is a golf ball retriever extendable pole with the basket broken off. Works great with a hook duct-taped to the end and an etrier hanging from the hook. As for using a hook to escape potholes being "less fun", I have to disagree. The sooner I climb out of a hypo-inducing swimmer, the better(more fun). Lots of ways to escape, lots of tools in the bag is our m.o.

You don't find a golf ball retriever to be obnoxiously large and cumbersome?

While I'm not advocating hooking, I maintain that that the most packable and practical solution is a few sections of old tent pole.

LNT

Scott Card
05-21-2014, 10:20 AM

Tom I read Erik B's statement to mean that he has a cheater stick, he has packed it, and he has regretted it every time.

I have done the same. I have a cheater stick I made years ago, I have packed it, I have regretted it every time. I have never used it yet.

Taylor
05-21-2014, 09:08 PM
You don't find a golf ball retriever to be obnoxiously large and cumbersome?

While I'm not advocating hooking, I maintain that that the most packable and practical solution is a few sections of old tent pole.

LNT
Dammit, ya made me go out and do some testin and measurin. I have two of those bad boys, one extends 6'4" and is equal in diameter to 4 of my rei tent poles. The other extends 6'8" and equals 5 tent poles. Those same 5 tent poles extend to 7'8". All three options are about 20" in length when collapsed.

Regarding obnoxiousness or cumbersomeness(not a word?), I slide the deal into the side slot on the outside of my Kolob pack, perfect!

2065toyota
05-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Usually plenty of debris in the canyons that can be improvised into a stick if it is really every needed

Erik B
05-21-2014, 10:35 PM

Tom
Yep. It's exactly that.

I used to carry it with the intent to use it as a ghetto rigged cheater stick. All the action it ever saw was from the inside of my pack. Now I don't bother.

SlickRock
05-28-2014, 08:02 PM
I have carried a cheater stick into Imlay and Heaps on 4 separate trips - lost one in Heaps :( pulled off the side of the pack - used only on one 1 Imlay descent but hooked probably 3 or so times... The last hook involved a jammed log maybe 4 ft above the saddle in the slot where the water level in the pot hole was about a foot low.

Me thinks a rotund non-climber may have struggled with that exit.

True, for me too, carrying the stick has always been more trouble than it has been worth, this pussy will still be taking one down the next time I do either of those canyons.