PDA

View Full Version : Long Canyon-Gravel Canyon loop

wyboy
04-28-2014, 06:11 AM
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]I was wondering about the conditions on the LongCanyon-Gravel Canyon loop. Is the water deep enough to require an inner tube?We are adding quite a bit of additional hiking on this trip and I don

kokopelli60
05-02-2014, 04:29 AM
I have done this loop 3 times, once solo and there is definitely no need for an innertube. There can be a few short swims but when backpacking I have not taken a wetsuit. I have also done just the Gravel slot a couple of times with a wetsuit which does increase the comfort level but again not necessary. You will get wet in Long Canyon but in my experience it is not swimming but wading in a narrow slot. There will be a mandatory swim in the Gravel slot but this slot can be bypassed. There will also be a mandatory swim near the end of Gravel just before getting back to White Canyon.

wyboy
05-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I am an experienced mountaineer but not so much in canyons and I have a dumb question. If you have to swim through a canyon, how do you carry your pack without a tube?

Scott P
05-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Your stuff is in drybags and you just swim through pushing, dragging, or wearing your pack, depending on how narrow the canyon is and how big your pack is.

Byron
05-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Personally, I never use drybags for stuff like this. I put everything I want to keep dry into a trash compactor bag in my pack. Those things are bomber and weight next to nothing.