PDA

View Full Version : Boundary attempt 4/27/14

2065toyota
04-27-2014, 04:27 PM
We headed up to Kolob planning to do Boundary today. We knew it had snowed, but wasn't sure how much. By the time we got to the west rim turnoff we were making fresh tracks in the snow and the road out to the west rim trailhead was pretty drifted from the wind. We had plenty of ropes and full suits, but decided to play another day.

I had a little phone service and it showed there were still 3 walk ins available for mystery which worked well since we didn't have a shuttle car. We headed down to Springdale and got to the VC at about 9am, got the permits, and jumped in the next bus. Even though it was a little later in the day, the air temps were low with a little wind so he hike up was pretty steady and fast. Surprisingly, all the other permit holders must have bailed because it was all fresh snow down the gully. Well snow on mud which makes it a fast trip down it. All the pools were full from the recent rain and we were in water from the first rap. No wetsuits taken or needed. Mystery is always fun, even as a backup plan. We didn't rush, but with only 3 of us, we were back to the shuttle at 3pm and headed home.

Another good day in Zion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jman
04-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Nice. Thanks for the update.

Glad your backup plan worked out well. Not a bad speed run for a after 9am start from Weeping Rock to shuttle again at 3pm, especially for fresh snow up on top.

2065toyota
04-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Wasn't really on a speed run. We even stopped and ate lunch. Everything just went real smooth

jman
04-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Well, can't ask for much more than that on a canyoneering trip. :cool2:

2065toyota
04-27-2014, 05:46 PM
any trip is better than sitting at home