PDA

View Full Version : Arches Permits

RyanGJ
04-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Just looking for an update on the new Arches permit system. Specifically I wanted to know if there is a kiosk in the Yellow Cat Area. I head out from Grand Junction and therefore it is impractical to go to Moab and then back to Yellow Cat for a quick day trip. I had heard that a self serve kiosk would be placed out there.

Does any one know if there is such a kiosk?

Is my only option going to the Moab office?

Thanks!

WorkBad
04-27-2014, 08:13 AM
I'm too lazy to check, but I was talking with the rangers in the visitors center in Arches a week ago and they said permits could be obtained online too. Just not the Fiery Furnace permits, those have to be obtained in person.

Taylor
04-27-2014, 09:01 AM
From the Arches NP website :

Canyoneers have two options to obtain permits:self-register at the kiosk outside the visitor center
(A second kiosk will soon be located at Winter Camp Ridge for Lost Spring Canyon travelers.)
obtain a permit via an on-line reservation system (coming later in 2014)

RyanGJ
04-27-2014, 11:18 AM
I know of the kiosk and the online. The offical word is the there will be a kiosk at winter camp. The online is not functional yet, but I wasn't sure if the kiosk at wintercamp was up yet.

I am trying to avoid the significant additional of driving from Moab and back for the permit. I also did not want to get out there and be dependent on a kiosk that is not there yet.

If no one has any first hand info on the kiosk I will give them a call and then update here for others.

Thanks!

Iceaxe
04-27-2014, 02:58 PM
If it were me.... no way in hell I'd drive clear into Moab to pick up a permit..... I'd just play dumb if there was no Kiosk at Winter Camp and I was asked for a permit. Your mileage may vary...

Sandstone Addiction
04-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Have you tried calling the visitor center?

By Phone
Visitor Information
(435) 719-2299
Headquarters
(435) 719-2100

qedcook
04-28-2014, 05:48 PM
I'd just play dumb if there was no Kiosk at Winter Camp and I was asked for a permit.

While most of us could never claim a first descent, thanks to the new permit system in Arches, some of us may claim a first poach. This may be more or less envied than a first descent, depending on your ethics.

RyanGJ
04-29-2014, 09:41 AM
The ambiguity continues. Called the Visitor Center, they state that there should be a kiosk in the Lost Springs area, thought could not verify for certain. I will have to go off that. Will update again once I have first hand info!

Iceaxe
04-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Will update again once I have first hand info!

That would be much appreciated. :2thumbs:

I really don't think you need to worry too much about getting a ticket at the moment because this permit system is all new to the park, they are still working the bugs out, and the right hand doesn't know exactly what the left hand is doing.

I do know the first year permits were required in Zion the rangers were instructed to educate the public and not give tickets (but they could if you were an ass).

gingerproblems
04-29-2014, 11:16 AM
When I was in the visitor center... a month and a half ago (where did the time go?), there was a sign posted that said the kiosk should be in place in April.

Iceaxe
06-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know if the kiosk at Winter Camp Ridge is up and running yet?

ratagonia
06-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know if the kiosk at Winter Camp Ridge is up and running yet?

Have you tried calling the visitor center?

By Phone
Visitor Information
(435) 719-2299
Headquarters
(435) 719-2100