PDA

View Full Version : How long is the first rap in Spry, REALLY?

yjenerator
04-25-2014, 10:41 AM
I have a trip planned end of May and I've seen reports of the first rap being anywhere from 165' to 190'. If it's 165' like Tom says (which I trust, I'm just double checking for paranoia's sake) then I'm fine. If it's 190' like BluuGnome reports, I'm going to need another pull cord.

ratagonia
04-25-2014, 10:49 AM
I have a trip planned end of May and I've seen reports of the first rap being anywhere from 165' to 190'. If it's 165' like Tom says (which I trust, I'm just double checking for paranoia's sake) then I'm fine. If it's 190' like BluuGnome reports, I'm going to need another pull cord.

Measured it carefully on a recent trip.

While the actual rappel is about 150 feet, it would be very difficult to pull using a total of 300 feet of rope, so 165' is a good measurement of the actual length of rope required to do it without swimming in the pool.

Tom

yjenerator
04-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Awesome. Thanks Tom!

Spartacus
04-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Did Spry today with TJ. Used my rope with 50' measurements. I think Tom was dead on at 165'. Awesome canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yjenerator
04-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Glad to hear it! I'm very much looking forward to it. Hoping it doesn't scare the fiance away from canyoneering!

ratagonia
04-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Glad to hear it! I'm very much looking forward to it. Hoping it doesn't scare the fiance away from canyoneering!

Wetsuits???

The best spots in Spry are wet. Many do not bring wetsuits and then are not psyched to do them, when cold. Like now.

Tom

TommyBoy
04-27-2014, 01:24 PM

That one isn't straight down so even though its long its not that scary. As far as wetsuits go, there is a report on candition.com from 2 days ago saying that water levels are way down in Spry, so its a toss up on bringing them. If you do encounter water though it will be really chilly this time of year so if you've wetsuits bring them for sure, if you have to rent them then I would say it depends on your cold tolerance and whether you want to spend the money for something you may not need.

ratagonia
04-27-2014, 01:40 PM
That one isn't straight down so even though its long its not that scary. As far as wetsuits go, there is a report on candition.com from 2 days ago saying that water levels are way down in Spry, so its a toss up on bringing them. If you do encounter water though it will be really chilly this time of year so if you've wetsuits bring them for sure, if you have to rent them then I would say it depends on your cold tolerance and whether you want to spend the money for something you may not need.

It rained 1/2" yesterday.

Jus' sayin'

Tom

jman
04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Wetsuits???

The best spots in Spry are wet. Many do not bring wetsuits and then are not psyched to do them, when cold. Like now.

Tom

I agree. They are one of the highlights of the trip (for me).

Here's 2 pics for fun.

And if you are above 6 feet and above - you may be able to stem it. Otherwise it was chest deep for us.

TommyBoy
04-27-2014, 01:50 PM
It rained 1/2" yesterday.

Jus' sayin'

Tom

Well that just makes me look stupid. Its amazing how much 1/2" of rain can fill up a canyon if it gets dropped in the right spot.