PDA

View Full Version : Conditions No Kidding

summitseeker
04-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Challenging canyon. It was our first time using sandtrap and potshot anchors...why not do the most challenging natural anchor canyon and learn the skills with my pregnant wife? Everything went well with only a few hiccups. 8 hours 30 minutes car to car with two people. I went over kill with gear in case I got a rope stuck. There was no water, wet sand, or mud. This canyon would suck with water. Conditions are ideal but this canyon is not one I would do again anytime soon as it is only cool because of the anchoring puzzles.

Slot Machine
04-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Whoa. NK would be a tricky and tedious canyon with just two people. I could see why you would not want to go back soon.

Pictures?

----

edit: just realized this is not a TR. Still want to see pictures. :haha: :popcorn:

ratagonia
04-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Challenging canyon. It was our first time using sandtrap and potshot anchors...why not do the most challenging natural anchor canyon and learn the skills with my pregnant wife? Everything went well with only a few hiccups. 8 hours 30 minutes car to car with two people. I went over kill with gear in case I got a rope stuck. There was no water, wet sand, or mud. This canyon would suck with water. Conditions are ideal but this canyon is not one I would do again anytime soon as it is only cool because of the anchoring puzzles.

Uh...

Let me get this straight -

1. hadn't really used a Sandtrap before.

2. had only two people

3. one of whom was your pregnant wife.

Perhaps you should read the instructions on the SandTrap. The part about needing to test every placement, carefully, fully backed up, with several rappellers before the last person. The part about how 4 is a very small team for SandTrapping. The part about how you need to be very cautious about using it until you have had a lot of practice.

This is extremely reckless behavior.

W

T

F

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

Kuya
04-22-2014, 02:37 PM
This is extremely reckless behavior.

but if he was doing it drunk he would be ok! :roflol:

j/k... yeah I agree. No Kidding is one amazing canyon, and I feel that way after doing it half full of water! :) Going into that canyon with a team of 2, having never used a sand trap before is really crazy. Glad to see you and your pregnant wife got out ok!