PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Moonshine Wash

Slot Machine
04-18-2014, 08:34 AM
On April 16th, 2014, Steph, John, our unborn son and I wrapped up our spring canyon trip with a descent of Moonshine Wash. Our new baby was due 9 days, John's 3rd birthday was 6 days away. Just enough time to squeeze in one more canyon.

We're not really "Everything's Awesome!" kind of people (reference to the recent Lego movie). Most canyons are good. Some are not.

But this one was REALLY good.

Not much of a story, except that there were a couple of committing downclimbs for my wife. Two twenty foot chimneys that would be difficult for her to reverse in her 'delicate' condition.

So, I scouted the entire canyon before she committed. This was a treat, because I got to see the canyon three times. All of the way down, all of the way up, then back down again.
:bud:

The three beanie makeshift helmet. His beanie, Dad's beanie and Mom's beanie.

Posing under the sheep bridge, high above.

Special thanks to @Iceaxe (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=36) for his superb description of this canyon.

http://climb-utah.com/Roost/moonshine.htm

We used the convenient Escape Route and completed the adventure in a very leisurely 4.5 hours (car-to-car).

MiCamp
04-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Looks like a great weekend Bob. I love the picture of John walking in the slot with his hands behind his back. Awesome!

Iceaxe
04-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Good stuff. :2thumbs:

deagol
04-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Both of them (your sons) have a huge head start....

Slot Machine
04-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Both of them (your sons) have a huge head start....

It's funny, John might like canyoneering more than I do. His stoke is contagious. There wasn't a moment during our three day outing when he wanted to go home.

He never wanted to be carried in the pack and raced down the canyon the second we put him down. He listened attentively to coaching; how to evaluate obstacles, to look for holes in the floor, to stop at any drop, etc. He marveled at the beauty of each slot. Strange to see a tiny kid 'take a moment' since their attention span is normally so short.

His muscle memory grew by leaps and bounds over the three days, really incredible to observe. His movement was quite fluid by the third day.

deagol
04-18-2014, 01:31 PM
That's pretty cool...

Sandstone Addiction
04-23-2014, 09:11 AM
I loved all of the TR's Bob! :2thumbs: But I this was my favorite as I've had this one on the radar for a while now.

It has always amazed me how different my kids act while in a canyon. It's like one huge playground for them.

Scott Card
04-23-2014, 10:06 AM
The fourth picture of your son in his "helmet" looking up is truly a keeper. Great shot. :2thumbs: