PDA

View Full Version : Help Green River Trip in May?

Bo_Beck
03-24-2014, 06:17 AM
OK....so I lost my 30 Day trip on the GC this last Feb-March, and was invited for a mid-May trip on the Green River. The trip will be a shuttle down to Mineral Bottom and a casual trip for 5 days to Spanish Bottom where we will get the river shuttle back up to Potash. Several years ago I was fortunate enough to join a canoe trip from Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom with many short hikes along the way to include; Colonade Arch and Bowknot Bend. Any suggestions of some good hikes on the stretch from Mineral to Spanish Bottom would be much appreciated? Thank You!

Scott P
04-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Any suggestions of some good hikes on the stretch from Mineral to Spanish Bottom would be much appreciated?

Bo,

There are many hikes available, but these are the ones I'd consider the best. They are listed upriver to downriver since that's the way you will encounter them:

~Mile 29.6, west side of river: Anderson Bottom and Slot Canyon-This is a good hike and the slot on the north side of Anderson Bottom is the best in Canyonlands.

~Mile 21, west side of river: Turks Head-beautiful butte and lots of ruins.

~Mile 16, west side of river: Route up to bench that accesses Horse Canyon-Horse Canyon is inaccessible from the lower end, but you can come in this route.

~Mile 9.4, west side of river-Jasper Ridge-one of the most scenic hikes in Canyonlands.

~Mile 7: Stove Canyon to Confluence, east side of river-This is one of the best views of the confluence and the least visited of the viewpoints.

~Mile 4.7: Water and Shot Canyons, west side of river-scenic routes and trails.

Bo_Beck
04-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Thank You Scott! I sat at dinner with an old timer the other night and he was able to give me some ideas as well! Between what you've supplied and what Milt supplied we ought to be pretty busy!

ststephen
04-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I've wanted to do this trip too. Can't wait to hear about yours, Bo!

Bo_Beck
05-09-2014, 06:48 AM
3 days til' launch! "water heater, water heater, water heater....please don't break!" Decided to bring my 17' cedar strip classic canoe. Mostly because I can carry more beer! Downside.....I now pick up groover hauler duties! Paddle...Hike...Explore...Swim....Drink.....Party. ...Play.....Maybe Sleep?.....Not necessarily in that order. Bring it on!

Bo_Beck
05-20-2014, 02:21 PM
!Here too!