PDA

View Full Version : Dogs On Slickrock Trail?

ahansen60
03-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Planning to head down to Moab in a couple weeks for some biking and hiking. Was thinking of doing the slickrock trail but I am not sure if dogs are allowed or if the trail would be dog friendly? Also is there any other cool dog friendly trails to bike or hike in the Moab area?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

neilether
03-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Planning to head down to Moab in a couple weeks for some biking and hiking. Was thinking of doing the slickrock trail but I am not sure if dogs are allowed or if the trail would be dog friendly? Also is there any other cool dog friendly trails to bike or hike in the Moab area?

It seems to me that the 10 miles slickrock loop would be pretty tough on a dog's feet. I don't recall seeing anything about it not being allowed though.

I have seen dogs on the Sovereign Trail, MOAB Brand Trails, and the Klondike Bluffs Trail system. All of those trails are dirt based with some slickrock sections thrown in so they may be easier on the dog's feet. THey are also very fun to ride.

deagol
03-07-2014, 08:12 AM
I saw a dog on the slickrock trail many years ago. It's paws were bleeding and the point where the nail/claw enters the furry part of the paw.

ahansen60
03-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. Anybody had success with dog shoes on their dog?

ahansen60
03-07-2014, 08:28 PM
If moab doesn't work out I was maybe thinking thunder mountain over by Bryce, but I'm not sure if it would still have a lot of snow. Anybody know it's current conditions?

Sombeech
03-07-2014, 09:01 PM
I would guess it has snow still

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ahansen60
03-08-2014, 08:44 AM
I'm thinking I will leave the dogs home this time. I'm for sure doing slickrock trail on my bike. That one's been on my bucket list a long time. As for a hike, I have heard good things about chocolate drops trail in Canyonlands. Can anyone verify if that's a good one?

Deathcricket
03-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. Anybody had success with dog shoes on their dog?

I put dog shoes on my Pitt, just cause it gets 100 degrees and I worry about him burning his feet on the asphalt. With steep trails I would worry about them falling off, but they do work perfect for flat surfaces. They are only $20, I would just do some experiments before the actual run. It takes 2 or 3 runs for them to get used to them on, they are always popping one foot up thinking they stepped in goo for a bit. But then they quickly get used to them. Also look very stylish :)

ahansen60
03-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info deathcricket. I am thinking I probably should have more time to test those out on trails around here before I attempt to bring my dogs on the slickrock trail.

ahansen60
03-09-2014, 09:36 PM
So I'm still not sure where to hike. Delicate arch would be cool, but I'd like to do something else considering delicate won't take very long. I was hearing good things about chocolate drops trail in canyonlands, but then heard it's a 5 hour drive on an extremely rugged road to get to it. So any other suggestions from anyone? Also does anybody know a good free place to camp around moab?

Deathcricket
03-10-2014, 01:52 AM
Oh I just remembered too... I took him on a short trail out here called Anastazi or something like that and the sandstone tore up his feet pretty bad a couple years ago. It didn't even have that many rocks in it, was like 3 miles. So keep an eye wherever you end up taking them.

Scott P
03-10-2014, 12:19 PM
I was hearing good things about chocolate drops trail in canyonlands, but then heard it's a 5 hour drive on an extremely rugged road to get to it.

It's way more than five hours from Moab. Chocolate Drops isn't anywhere near Moab. You access it from near Hanskville or Hite (depending on your route-your route-I guess you could technically access from Green River, but that would take longer).

Chocolate Drops is over in the Maze near the Dollhouse. It would be a 7-8 hour drive from Moab, when open. The NPS usually keeps the Flint Trail closed until late March, but it may be open now since it's been warm lately. If the Flint Trail is closed you can access via Hite, but going that way is even farther from Moab.

So any other suggestions from anyone?

There are plenty of possibilities around Moab. Of course the time of year you are planning is going to be extremely crowded. You could always combine Delicate Arch with the rest of the trails in Arches.

In Canyonlands, Lathrop Trail is a good one. Couthouse Wash near Moab is nice. So is Mill Creek or Negro Bill Canyon.

ahansen60
03-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Wow that is quite the drive. That one is definitely off the list now. Another I was considering is Druid Arch in Canyonlands. According to Google it's about 2 hours from Moab. Does that seem right? The trailhead would be either Devil's Kitchen Campground or Elephant Hill Trailhead.

nelsonccc
03-11-2014, 08:52 AM
We did thunder ridge last fall and it was seriously torn up from all of the rain. In fact the entire last half (which is supposed to be fun part) was mostly a hike a bike. Huge piles of rocks spilled over the trail at ever little gully. Not sure if that got corrected before the winter but I would never ride that trail again unless I had fresh beta that it was cleared and groomed.