PDA

View Full Version : Bicyclist Seriously Injured after Eight Attempt to Illegally Bicycle Through Zion Tun

Glenn
02-25-2014, 03:18 PM
If I find out this was another Boy Scout group, I think I'll lose it.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/bicyclistinjured.htm

Date: February 22, 2014
At approximately 4:30 pm on Friday, February 22, 2014, a group of eight bicyclists from Salt Lake City attempted to illegally bicycle through the Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel in Zion National Park. Two of the bicyclists apparently hit the tunnel wall and crashed. One, a 51-year-old male from West Jordan, suffered significant head trauma and was transported to the hospital by the Zion Park Ambulance. The second cyclist ran into the tunnel wall, sideswiping it and tearing his shirt. He refused medical care.

It is illegal to bicycle through the 1.1-mile tunnel. To ensure the safety of bicyclists and that of passing traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians must be transported through the 1.1-mile, unlit narrow tunnel in a motor vehicle. The bicyclists were part of a larger group of 12 who had arranged for a shuttle to take them to the other side, which is proper protocol. Apparently eight people in the group (including two minors) decided to ride through instead. According to one of the bicyclists near the back of the group, "As soon as we rounded the corner, it was like pitch black, and that's where it happened… he was just lying there. They were in a bad spot, and only two of the bikers had little flashers. I thought, 'someone else is going to get killed.' " The biker turned around and went back to the tunnel entrance to stop traffic from entering too fast. He said, "That was my first thought cause I didn't want anybody else to get hurt… it was really stupid what we'd done… I think we all learned our lesson and we now have to pay the price." Another biker said, "I just can‟t believe that we put ourselves in that kind of situation."

Park rangers issued violation notices to the group. The condition of the victim is unknown at this time.

DiscGo
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
If I find out this was another Boy Scout group, I think I'll lose it.

Take it easy. I honestly don't see what is to get worked up about here. I would like to bike through the tunnel, and like most people I'm sure these people ignored the warnings of danger because you didn't think anything would happen to you. This isn't the destroying goblin valley type of story where Scouts are harming the environment. This is a story of men (or boys) chasing adventure.

Sombeech
02-26-2014, 12:53 PM
I generally think all road cyclists are idiots :roflol:

Scott P
02-26-2014, 12:58 PM
"As soon as we rounded the corner, it was like pitch black, and that's where it happened… he was just lying there.

I would have never guessed that it could have been dark in a tunnel.

I generally think all road cyclists are idiots :roflol:

:nono:

nelsonccc
02-26-2014, 01:25 PM
We used to go up there at night when I was in high school and run thru the tunnel. This was back before they started the whole one way/turn thingy they do now. I also have a friend that hiked in at night and used one of the windows to drop into Pine Creek to retrieve a left rope.

Glenn
02-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Take it easy. I honestly don't see what is to get worked up about here. I would like to bike through the tunnel, and like most people I'm sure these people ignored the warnings of danger because you didn't think anything would happen to you. This isn't the destroying goblin valley type of story where Scouts are harming the environment. This is a story of men (or boys) chasing adventure.

Hey, if it's just the usual idiots, fine. They can Darwin themselves out the gene pool as far as I'm concerned. But adult leaders of Boy Scouts should know better. There are plenty of signs stating that cycling isn't allowed through the tunnel. Hey, I'd love to hike/bike through it myself, but it's a decent enough rule to follow.

Again, all mute if this ain't Utah BSA folk.

Scott P
02-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Again, all mute if this ain't Utah BSA folk.

Why would you think this particular incident has anything to do with scouts? :ne_nau: The report says there were only two minors in the group.

Glenn
02-28-2014, 03:39 PM
My response is quite conditional. And you're right: the math doesn't suggest it was BSA-related.

I think I'll go home and cool off with a "Devastator". :beer: