PDA

View Full Version : 15 Most Incredible Slot Canyons on Earth

Iceaxe
02-11-2014, 10:04 PM
I always get a good laugh out of these types of stories....

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/news-amazing-slot-canyons?image=0

Enjoy. :popcorn:

Bootboy
02-12-2014, 03:16 AM
Stupid article...

I glad they pretty much only listed non technical canyons.

IMHO, Heaps bitch slaps all of the canyons on that list. But Heaps is a pretty serious undertaking in comparison. A different animal all together.

Iceaxe
02-12-2014, 08:20 AM
The biggest surprise to me was they did not rate Antelope Canyon number one like the hundreds of similar clueless articles that proceeded this one.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Scott P
02-12-2014, 09:02 AM
I don't think the list is that bad except for the fact that most slots are grouped together.

For example, Peekaboo, Spooky, and Dry Fork are all right next to each other and can all be done together in the matter of a few hours. Zebra is right there too. The other grouped slots are around Antelope Canyon.

Since the article is written for tourist, rather than canyoneers, I don't find it to be that bad. At least it didn't call them secret or anything.

Brimstone is however, the best in the Peekaboo/Spooky/Brimstone complex.

Also, most people writing this list have little or limited knowledge on the subject. The title of the article should have been "15 Incredible Slot Canyons" rather than claiming that they are the best ones in the world.

deagol
02-13-2014, 01:03 PM
reads like a content farm article

Antelope was listed as #5

DesertDuke
02-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Hmmm......I've never heard of Petra Al Siq called a slot. I've also never been there so I guess maybe it is but I would have lost a $1 bet on that one.

Scott P
02-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Hmmm......I've never heard of Petra Al Siq called a slot.

It's definitely a slot or at least a narrows. In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade they go through the slot on horseback before reaching Petra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FRVbR6W1LLY

DesertDuke
02-13-2014, 08:47 PM
It's definitely a slot or at least a narrows. In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade they go through the slot on horseback before reaching Petra.

Narrows seems to fit.

Iceaxe
02-13-2014, 09:00 PM
When I first started doing slot canyons I had an old timer tell me "if you can stand in the middle of the canyon and reach out and touch both walls at the same time it's a slot". I've always used that as a personal base line when deciding how to classify a canyon. YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

ahansen60
02-14-2014, 12:39 AM
Would you rather them reveal all your favorite places in the article? Personally I'd like the best spots to stay little known to the general public.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk