PDA

View Full Version : GoPro Flat Lens

tallsteve
02-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a flat lens vs. the installed fish-eye. Has anyone replaced their lens for a flat one and, if so, where did you get it from? How did it work?

Sombeech
02-10-2014, 02:14 PM
What version of GoPro do you have? Are you talking about the lens on the case, or on the actual camera itself?

The 3 and 3+ have the flat lens on the case. I've heard it's better for underwater shots but I don't have too much experience with that. I guess it could help with the fisheye effect but the change in filming mode might help that too.

The 960 mode will give you the biggest fisheye effect because of the height.

Sun Dance
02-10-2014, 09:04 PM
You can remove the fisheye effect in post processing. I've never tried it to see its effectiveness but I've seen the option in the GoPro software.

tallsteve
02-11-2014, 07:22 AM
I have the Hero 3+ White. So, is the fisheye lens on the camera itself or on the case?
Sun Dance, maybe I'll try editing with the GoPro software. I've been using Windows Movie Maker and don't recall seeing an option to 'flatten' out the video.

Sun Dance
02-11-2014, 03:01 PM
The fisheye lens is on the camera itself. I'd just use the Gopro software to remove the fisheye effect and then bring those avis back into Movie Maker. MM is a much better editing software (as long as you're not using MM Live) than Gopro. You usually have to convert to avi anyway before movie maker will handle it, and Gopro software makes the conversion. Look in the options - you should be able to set it to remove fisheye as you export to the avi format. An alternative to MM is Video Pad, which you can download and use for two days free. It lets you get very precise with the timing like the old MM did. When it expires, just uninstall and reinstall. It doesn't keep track.

tallsteve
02-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Mtnseeker1
02-14-2014, 12:29 AM
Just for giggles and laughs can you put a 2 in a 3 case?