PDA

View Full Version : Lunches seized from kids in debt at Salt Lake City elementary

Scott P
01-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Thoughts?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57468293-78/lunches-olsen-students-district.html.csp

Jason Olsen, a Salt Lake City District spokesman, said the district’s child-nutrition department became aware that Uintah had a large number of students who owed money for lunches.

As a result, the child-nutrition manager visited the school and decided to withhold lunches to deal with the issue, he said.

But cafeteria workers weren’t able to see which children owed money until they had already received lunches, Olsen explained.

The workers then took those lunches from the students and threw them away, he said, because once food is served to one student it can’t be served to another.

Children whose lunches were taken were given milk and fruit instead.

Olsen said school officials told the district that their staffers typically tell students about any balances as they go through the lunch line and send home notifications to parents each week.

The district attempted to contact parents with balances via phone Monday and Tuesday, Olsen said, but weren’t able to reach them all before the child-nutrition manager decided to take away the students’ lunches.

"Something’s not working, and that’s what the school and child-nutrition department are going to work on together," Olsen said of the notifications.

He said there’s no plan to use the same tactic at other district schools.

"This can be easily prevented," Olsen said. "We need to make sure proper notification goes out to the parents and they have time to put money in the accounts."

But Olsen said he would not describe the tactic as a mistake.

"If students were humiliated and upset," Olsen said, "that’s very unfortunate and not what we wanted to happen."
However, after further investigation, Olsen released an updated statement (https://www.facebook.com/slcschools/posts/10152290084375769) that was also posted to the district’s Facebook page. It said: "This situation could have and should have been handled in a different manner. We apologize."

The post adds: "We understand the feelings of upset parents and students who say this was an embarrassing and humiliating situation. We again apologize and commit to working with parents in rectifying this situation and to ensuring students are never treated in this manner again."

Olsen said it’s standard in the district to give kids fruit and milk in lieu of lunch if they don’t have the money to pay for lunch.

He said it’s unclear how Uintah had been handling such situations before this week. Attempts to reach Uintah’s principal were unsuccessful.

Olsen said the district encourages parents to use its electronic system to pay for lunches and set up email notifications. He said the software for the system is new this year, though it’s not much different than the old one.
Lukes said she never received a notification that her daughter would have her lunch taken.

She said it was a difficult day for her daughter and other kids. She said her daughter told her one of the cafeteria workers cried at the sight. And her daughter’s best friend was so upset that she went home Tuesday night and made lunches for all the students who had theirs taken, she said.

"You would think in a public school system your child wouldn’t be turned away from lunch," Lukes said, "especially when people usually settle their balances."

rockgremlin
01-31-2014, 07:38 AM
Ridiculous.

Publicly humiliating kids is not the answer to Uintah's school lunch problem. Shame on them.

"Attempts to reach Uintah's principal were unsuccessful." Gee, I wonder why...

Deathcricket
01-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Meh, sounds like the school messed up, apologized, and moved on. We should too.

rockgremlin
01-31-2014, 08:06 AM
It made national news: http://www.today.com/video/today/54232369?from=en-us_msnhp#54232369

Honestly, how did they think this was going to be received? How can this be explained as a "simple mistake?" Literally taking food out of the mouths of kids is a simple mistake?

rockgremlin
01-31-2014, 08:20 AM

Republican Senator Todd Weiler disagrees. He thinks someone ought to lose their job over this.

"...whoever is found to be responsible for the incident through due process should be fired, because that person "used (their) power to humiliate and embarrass children."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=28547313&nid=148&title=lawmakers-visit-school-where-lunches-were-tossed-for-kids-without-funds

hank moon
01-31-2014, 09:16 AM

Totally.

Newsflash: someone did a dumb thing and later regretted it.

An appropriate response would be for the decision maker to make a sincere apology directly to the entire school population*. Special assembly in the auditorium - good learning experience in itself.

*with special emphasis toward the lunchlorn kids

Iceaxe
01-31-2014, 10:02 AM
If they worked for me... Whomever made the decision to take a perfectly good lunch away from a hungry kid and toss it directly into the garbage can would lose their job immediately.... no way in hell I would want someone with such a complete lack of commonsense working for me. There are so many other ways this situation could have been handled. YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

rockgremlin
01-31-2014, 11:21 AM
If they worked for me... Whomever made the decision to take a perfectly good lunch away from a hungry kid and toss it directly into the garbage can would lose their job immediately.... no way in hell I would want someone with such a complete lack of commonsense working for me. There are so many other ways this situation could have been handled. YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Exactly. This isn't just a simple oopsie daisy, sorry guys. This was a blunder of epic proportions.

So we should just look the other way and hope the assclown responsible for this doesn't do something equally as stooopid in the future? Nope. :nono:

reverse_dyno
01-31-2014, 03:03 PM
Former district lunch worker Pam Gomez said public seizures in Salt Lake City schools have been done routinely on a smaller scale.
"The kitchen managers are aghast every time they have to do that," said Gomez, who retired two years ago after working in the district for seven years. "You have children crying. You know they get embarrassed because it happens in front of everybody."
She added, "It’s sad for those kids, but at least now the policy is out in the open."
From slctrib (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57472249-78/lunch-lunches-district-kids.html.csp?fb_action_ids=10152782546531953&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582)

Why should anyone get fired over this? According to Pam Gomez, a former school lunch server, taking lunches away from kids and throwing them out when they can not pay is standard practice. The only difference is that the school district got caught. Oh, wait, I guess people are getting fired because they got caught, not because of the seizures.

Iceaxe
01-31-2014, 04:47 PM
Why should anyone get fired over this? According to Pam Gomez, a former school lunch server, taking lunches away from kids and throwing them out when they can not pay is standard practice.

Being a dumbass in the past is no excuss for continuing to be a dumbass.... YMMV...

Or as my dad always told be growing up, "Just because you did it wrong the first time is no excuss to do it wrong the second time". Hell, I knew that adage by heart when I was 5.

Sombeech
02-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Weber School District also has a Uintah Elementary. We've been receiving hate mail and vulgar voice messages since last week.

Hilarious.

I'd think if you were angry enough to call in, it might be your kid that had his lunch thrown away, and you'd at least know what district they attended.

Then again, a lot of people get emotionally invested in headlines that have zero influence on their lives :haha:

tanya
02-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Someone really messed up. So many of the school lunches are free anyway. It should not have been such a big deal and the kids should have never been in the middle of it. It should have been settled between the school and the adults that owed the bill.

In our school, kids can't graduate to the next grade until all their bills are paid up to date, but other than that it's easy going.

tanya
02-03-2014, 04:54 PM
ha ha .. as soon as I post this I get an automated messages that I own a cafeteria balance for my youngest. lol