PDA

View Full Version : Snowstorm Paralyzes South

Scott P
01-29-2014, 07:30 AM
A rare winter storm glazed the South with snow and ice and paralyzed the city of Atlanta, which was so choked with traffic that drivers abandoned their cars and trudged to churches and home-improvement stores to spend the night.

Schoolchildren were still stranded Wednesday morning across the region, including nearly a thousand in schools outside Birmingham, Ala., and 850 in Marietta, Ga., where buses started to take the kids home on Tuesday afternoon but had to turn back because of bad roads.

As a winter storm grips the Southern U.S., nearly 2,000 students spent the night in a Georgia school and at least 900 accidents were reported across the state. Six states have declared a state of emergency. The Weather Channel's Managing Editor Sam Champion reports.

Birmingham Mayor William Bell said teachers stayed with stranded students throughout the night, giving them food and water and trying to keep them calm

In Atlanta, two children spent the night on a bus and were still trapped inside at 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday — 18 hours after the snow started to fall.

Now, here's the good part:

[SIZE=4][I][B]Columbia, S.C., got an inch and a half of snow, and Atlanta 2

Rob L
01-29-2014, 10:58 AM
I got stuck in London for 24 hours awaiting my flight to BogleyFest 2009 because Las Vegas airport was closed with 1/2" of snow.

Similarly, the whole of the UK grinds to a slippery stop if there is more than 24 hours of snowfall....we're just not set up for it.

cchoc
01-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Georgia gov blamed the traffic problems on the National Weather Service - seriously.