PDA

View Full Version : GoPro Stabilizer

Tystevens
01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Has anyone used a handheld stabilizer for your GoPro? Something like the Steadicam or the Curve? The videos people shoot with those are pretty impressive.

Do those devices really make that much of a difference, or are they just experts at editing and using software?

Sombeech
01-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Some of those devices really help, it just keeps a heavy weight at the bottom so the camera doesn't shake or bump as much.

I'm sure some of them are using a little of the anti shake software too, but too much will trim the edges off so it wouldn't be true 1080. Of course, GoPro can film in 1440 now, so they have that 400 pixel buffer around the edges if they are aiming for 1080.

There are some simple techniques with the pole mount too. A lot of people have the camera on top of the pole which makes it top heavy, wanting to tip from side to side. But if you can flip the camera so it's on the bottom, it will want to stay down and will tip less.

Here's a good demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZEYz_eNoVU

samabell
01-17-2014, 11:33 AM
I just bought a gopro her03 black. i was wondering how to make the camera mount? 

rich67
03-21-2014, 08:05 AM
I have a telescoping pole that I bought at Wal Mart for about 10 bucks. Then I bought the GoPro tripod mount to attach it to the pole. They sell that on Amazon for a few bucks. Wish I had seen this video before my NC trip...my video was way shaky...grrr! Thanks for posting it, Sombeech.

Glenn
03-21-2014, 11:16 AM
There are basically three types of solutions to stabilizing GoPro videos taken when in motion:
1) Mechanical balancing unit (ex., Steadicam Merlin)
2) Electronic gimbals
3) Post-processing software

I have a Steadicam-like unit, but it is too massive for the GoPro (really works well with my Pentax DSLR). There are smaller, lighter versions more-suited for the GoPro and lots of DIY projects to make your own very inexpensively. The major drawback with these type of systems is that you have to use one hand/arm to film, which could be an inconvenience if you're doing some intensive outdoor exploration (ex., climbing, rappelling).

Electronic gimbals are mostly used with flying platforms, although I'm very interested in a new unit called the Stubilizer (see his Kickstarter campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1496576492/stubilizer-gopro-compatible-active-camera-stabiliz)). It's very impressive, but rather expensive: a two-axis unit will cost about $450. The advantage is that it can mount to a helmet and do an amazing job at stabilizing video in pitch (vertical) and roll (tilt). The three-axis unit has a "smart" yaw (horizontal) control that smooths out quick turns left and right.

Lastly, videos can be post-processed with various software. I use VirtualDub and the DeShaker plugin (all freeware). It compromises the quality of the video somewhat (ex., softens images, distorts edges, crops out), but still can give very pleasing results if you find the right settings and don't mind spending an hour rendering a two-minute video.

I fully expect GoPro to introduce some in-camera stabilization in their next release, most-likely an electronic/software system (rather than an optical shift or chip-shift).