PDA

View Full Version : Another Base Jumper Gets Jacked Up in Moab

accadacca
12-06-2013, 01:41 PM
http://vimeo.com/80704110

Cliff Strike 11/24/2013

Compression Fracture of the T12 Vertebra, 5 stitches to the eye, 6 stitches to the chin, severely sprained Back, wrist and hand. multiple bruised areas.

BruteForce
12-06-2013, 02:18 PM
He had absolutely no chute control the minute he popped chute. I can only assume that after the first hard impact, he was knocked silly - because he didn't seem to have any upper body control after that.

Yeah, I want to do that now -- NOT!

accadacca
12-06-2013, 02:44 PM
At least he had his knee pads on! :lol8:

owenfw
12-06-2013, 03:17 PM
That flake he nails is like the finger of God reaching out and saying "base jumping is stupid".

Hope he has a full recovery.

BruteForce
12-06-2013, 04:14 PM
That flake he nails is like the finger of God reaching out and saying "base jumping is stupid".

Hope he has a full recovery.

What!?!

Swimswithtrout
12-07-2013, 05:44 PM
While in Moab last week, I pointed out the bluffs the base jumpers like to use, and how one got hurt pretty bad a month ago. The very next morning, the news was reporting of a fatality the day before got there. http://www.moabtimes.com/view/full_story/24130831/article-Moab-man-dies-in-Nov--23-BASE-jumping-accident-near-SR-128 and now this viral video. I am a long time hang glider pilot, and news like this is what got many of our sites shut down "back in the day" before we began strictly self-regulating pilots and sites. I wouldn't doubt, that in the very near future, with the sudden rash of incidences at Moab, that the BLM and other agencies step and shut down base jumping as an allowed use.

Iceaxe
12-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't think the BLM will close their area to base jumping any time soon. There was much discussion with use and the recent rope swing deaths. The BLM's position was basically it's not their job to regulate stupidity, but to manage and protect resources, which is the right call in my humble opinion. If government starts regulating stupid its bad for everyone as they are forced to regulate to protect the dumbest person on the planet.

I've always wondered when filtering the shallow end of the gene pool became a bad thing?

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

JONBOYLEMON
12-09-2013, 07:54 AM
The allure of base jumping seems that it is right at the edge of "Die/Dont Die" every time. So the rush is just that much bigger. Problem is, that base jumping off a cliff 10,000 up would not do anything for any of these guys. It seems to be chasing a high, from too low a starting point, that ends up all too often like this video.

Its like when I used to clean high rise windows for a living. People usually didnt get hurt on the job, they got killed, or paralyzed, when something went wrong. As soon as lost my invincibilty, I looked for a different line of work than hanging off sky scrapers for a paycheck........ Bad news, I made more then over 20 years ago, even w/o adjusting for inflation!!!!! But its warm at my desk today, and the chance of falling to my death is VERY LOW today!!!!!

Poor guy, hope he heals quick, this video was FANTASTIC!!!!!!