PDA

View Full Version : Internet provider? Comcast/Xfinity or Centurylink? With basic cable? Sandy Utah

Brian in SLC
10-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Curious what you kids are running and how you like the service. I'm a current Centurylink user with a bloated plan for just home phone and DSL (in Sugarhouse but I'm moving to Sandy). Fairly happy with the speed I have currently. No gaming. Thinkin' I'll ditch the home phone given I have a cell.

Wouldn't mind basic cable, but, I'm suckin' in around 60 channels, most in HD, for free with an antennae.

What are folks doing for internet providers in Sandy?

Comcast has a plan that doesn't seem too bad. Basic cable and internet for reasonable (starts around 50 then goes to 70 then 80 after a year). At least it seems reasonable. Not sure the final cost.

Centurylink has a DSL only plan that isn't too bad. Have to admit I have a heckuva time figuring out my final cost, though, and based on prior history they jack rates up a huge amount.

What speed should I shoot for if I don't mind a bit of streaming movie from the 'net action. I have a "smart" TV. Would that require a certain speed to nicely stream TV channels from the net? Or movies?

Come on tech saavy peeps...let's hear some options! This troglodyte needs help!

Thanks!

JONBOYLEMON
10-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Your moving????? Anyways, back on topic....

I loved Comcast when we had them. I would call every year and "Negotiate" a better rate that had me at basic cable and high speed at $50.00 a month. This went on for YEARS!!!!! Finally one day when the rate was set to jump I called and tried to get rate held for another year but they would not budge.

Any of those services you listed will get you streaming video.

I hate Century Link just cuz.
So I dumped Comcast and moved to AF Connect. STUPID FAST speeds and no limit on usage!!!! But you gotta live in American Fork to get it.

Adrian D. has a Comcast modem you could get for cheap that will save you $3.00 a month vs renting theirs.

Brian in SLC
10-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Your moving?

Adrian D. has a Comcast modem you could get for cheap that will save you $3.00 a month vs renting theirs.

Yeah...ugh...good thing I have a really large literature collection...paper...so lightweight...UGH!

Good info. Thanks!

Modem...could I use someone elses? That'd be sweet.

Iceaxe
10-22-2013, 05:01 PM
I switched to CenturyLink a year ago..... BIG MISTAKE... I swear my internet is down several times a week. They jacked the price on me after a year, I had to call and threaten to switch to someone else to get back on my good plan. I'll have to do the same thing next year ( I hear this is also the deal with Comcast).

On a scale of 1 - 10 i'd give them a 3. If I didn't have to deal with the pain of switching I'd be somewhere else.

:cool2:

JONBOYLEMON
10-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Yes, AD was selling his a while ago. They are pretty cheap, less than $100.00 but call AD and see if he still has it. I think he was selling for dirt cheap.

accadacca
10-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Comcast is the shiz for internet. Lightening fast speeds keeps me around. Bundle that with a few channels...shazam,

Brian in SLC
10-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Yes, AD was selling his a while ago. They are pretty cheap, less than $100.00 but call AD and see if he still has it. I think he was selling for dirt cheap.

PM me his contact info, or, direct him to this thread?

Thanks!

Comcast = shiz. I like it. All these outfits are a bit of a racket it seems.

Wasatch
10-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Utopia for me.

Brian in SLC
04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Bump....already April and I still haven't pulled the trigger on this.

Anyone have a Comcast modem they'd be willing to part with?

Cheers!

JONBOYLEMON
04-01-2014, 11:05 AM
I have one for a fair offer.

ahansen60
04-01-2014, 06:52 PM
I have one as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

phatch
04-02-2014, 04:01 PM
I've been on Centurylink for a quite a while and have had no trouble and find the price reasonable. I don't pay for TV service, I find no value in that equation. I only keep a landline because of my kids and am a big fan of pre-paid cell service. Good bang for the buck there. Bundles, not so much, but it definitely depends on your uses.

You'll have to talk to people in that new neighborhood and see what's working for them. If you're going into an area with a HOA, they'll likely have a package deal that's worth considering.

I have a friend in a section of Midvale that Centurylink supports poorly. He's had pretty good service with Clear, a cellular ISP. He's looking at jumping to Utopia with Xmission as his connection. If Utopia were in my neighborhood, that would be my choice as well.

Don't sign any long term contracts. Google has the Salt Lake Valley on their shortlist for fiber rollout but who knows which areas they'll actually cover and when.

phatch
04-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Bump....already April and I still haven't pulled the trigger on this.

Anyone have a Comcast modem they'd be willing to part with?

Cheers!

Costco is selling the Surfboard, a well regarded cable modem.

BruteForce
04-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Costco is selling the Surfboard, a well regarded cable modem.

I've got one I'd sell you cheap. I had Comcast but moved back to CenturyLink due to bandwidth issues and assigned IP addresses.