PDA

View Full Version : How was your harvest?

Sombeech
10-10-2013, 05:48 PM
I grew some sunflowers again, got some delicious seeds out of the deal. Also getting ready to dry the grapes for some delicious raisins.

What did you guys grow?

StudChild
10-12-2013, 05:18 PM
We had a great year with our pumpkins. Two of them are close to 70 lb..
And we still have one more that I haven't pick, I am trying to get it as big as I can. I would guess it is about 60 lb. right now.

Sandstone Addiction
10-17-2013, 07:38 PM
My wife and kids are crazy about Raspberry Jam and every fall we would head to the local Raspberry patch by West Mtn. to pick about $75 worth of berries (30 pounds). Last year we made about 7 full batches of jam, which ended up being over 31 pints of jam. We emptied the last jar the other day.

So, a few years ago, I got the stupid idea of planting our own berries and so not being too smart, I just transplanted shoots of an unknown variety and waited until they produced. Turned out, that they were summer bearing fruit (like the Bear Lake ones) that between the heat and bugs, didn't produce anything. Luckly I didn't spend any money on them and proceeded to spray round up on them in the fall.

A year ago, in the spring, I wised up and ordered some outstanding ever bearing (one crop early summer and one big one in fall) bare-root plants (Heritage) from a nursery in Oregon and watched them take off. Only got a few berries last fall, as was expected, but this fall they have gone crazy. I have picked berries twice a week for the last 6 weeks and they still haven't stopped. Although they have slowed down considerably.

I have picked about 10 of these bowls (about a gallon each) so far and might get another before a heavy frost.

I grew serrano, habanero, anaheim, and sweet red bell peppers which all did excellent, but my jalapenos (my fav) didn't do much for some reason. I gave away most of the habaneros (like the ones in the pic below) as these little devils are too painful to eat :knary:. I have made peach/habanero jam in the past, which is excellent BTW.

Tobraq44
10-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Superb, I need to learn from you.

Felicia
10-19-2013, 06:44 AM
I just got my garden started; seems weird to plant in October.

StudChild
10-19-2013, 09:44 AM
I just got done harvesting our walnut trees. We have 5 trees in our back yard. The big green ones are American Walnuts and the little black ones are english walnuts. With the American walnuts you have to let the fruit rot off before you can see the nut. With the english walnut the fruit is all most gone before they fall off the tree. It is scary to be under the American walnut when the fruit falls, It's like being hit with a baseball.