PDA

View Full Version : How To Get an image from your GoPro video footage

Sombeech
10-05-2013, 06:57 PM
If I want to capture the perfect moment in an action shot, forget the point and shoot still shot camera, and forget the cell phone camera. Take a video with any GoPro, in fact any video camera, and you can navigate frame by frame to that perfect shot.

Or maybe you're alone and it's going to take longer than the standard 10 second timer to run to that spot and pose for the camera. Just set the GoPro up on a tripod and let the video run.

It's also nice to use for the wide angle lens, where most cameras won't be wide enough to catch everything.

When you're solo, the GoPro App comes in very handy just to make sure you're catching everything in the frame that you want, and you can start the recording while away from the camera: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?69503-Update-your-GoPro-app

All of the images below are from video footage. Some from my GoPro HERO1 and some from my HERO3 Black Edition.

OK maybe a few too many there, but nonetheless, here is how you can grab frames from your video footage. Many times I've had better looking stills than how the video turned out, so I just grabbed those.

My preferred method is by using VLC Media Player (free download here: http://www.videolan.org/ )

But you can also use various video editing software like Windows Live Movie Maker to take a quick snapshot, but the benefit with VLC is it has an easy interface to slow down the playback, even go frame by frame, and then to take a snapshot of the footage.

In VLC, once you've found that perfect shot in your video, with the player paused, go up to "Video" in the toolbar, then "Take Snapshot". (This may vary slightly depending on the version of VLC you are using).

By default the snapshot will save as a .png file in your Pictures folder.

And the snapshot result:

Kent K25
10-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Or just click the button with a camera on it. Lower left of your screenshot next to the red dot.

Sombeech
10-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Or just click the button with a camera on it. Lower left of your screenshot next to the red dot.

True, that toolbar may not show by default, I think I had to set it to show.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2