PDA

View Full Version : Snowbasin Future

MtnBkr
10-03-2013, 10:23 AM
The Standard Examiner recently had an article discussing future Snowbasin development which had one line saying there was some concern over loss of trails in the area. I layered the crude newspaper map onto Google Earth and added most of the singletrack extracted from SkidMap. The loss of trails seems to be minimal and if they adopt trail management similar to Park City, the impact could be insignificant. And by the time this happens I'll be too old to care :roll:

The screenshot is from the source GoogleEarth file that is attached.

Sombeech
10-03-2013, 12:11 PM
I don't have Google Earth on this machine so I can't quite tell, but are they looking at putting homes right at the top of Ogden Overlook on the West side?

Bootboy
10-03-2013, 12:22 PM
That's disgusting

MtnBkr
10-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Maybe this will help

Sombeech
10-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Oh ok, a little hard to tell the difference between the orange color where the lifts are shown and the small yellow spots, but it looks like none of the trail system, namely Ogden Overlook, Sardine Peak, Wheeler Creek, Icebox, and Wheeler Canyon would be affected.

We might be able to see housing as we're close to the old Maples campground out in that meadow to the East, maybe.

We should let them know of the Sasquatch sightings in the area, maybe that would keep certain folks out :lol8:

Bootboy
10-03-2013, 05:38 PM
All the areas where the housing development is planned are nothing but scrub oak and sage brush. It's not like its a pretty place to build your house. But if you can sell it to the schmucks as a high-class resort development and throw in a few golf courses, you'll have all the yuppies clambering to get their slice of it. Despite the fact the ground in the area is notoriously unstable and there isn't a tree taller than 10' any where to be seen.

It's totally an image thing. Let's just develop the shit out of everything so we can sell it as high brow. Then what? What comes next? as someone who was born and raised in Ogden, and having skied at Snowbasin for 20 years, is all so sad.

Sombeech
10-03-2013, 09:55 PM
That's why I prefer to snowboard at Powder Mountain. Much less yuppie up there. But... probably not much longer up there either.

mxerhale
10-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Let's turn Utah into Kalifornia! It does seem as though all the butt-nuggets from Cali that have infiltrated Utah want to build another over-developed urban wilderness out here too! I totally agree with Bootboy, this makes me sick.

chromehead58
10-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Let's turn Utah into Kalifornia! It does seem as though all the butt-nuggets from Cali that have infiltrated Utah want to build another over-developed urban wilderness out here too! I totally agree with Bootboy, this makes me sick.
I can see it now, they will build their houses, and then complain about the bikers parking on their roads and riding through their back. yards. This reminds me of Ogden Canyon, I used to love to fish it from the mouth of the canyon up to the MTC building. Now that people can tell you no to fishing in their back yards, they do and you can only fish a small portion of it...I am with you mxerhale, this makes me sick.

ahansen60
10-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Seems like the Ogden Valley is becoming more like Park City all the time. A move in the wrong direction if you ask me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

middlefork
10-09-2013, 01:49 PM
All the areas where the housing development is planned are nothing but scrub oak and sage brush. It's not like its a pretty place to build your house. But if you can sell it to the schmucks as a high-class resort development and throw in a few golf courses, you'll have all the yuppies clambering to get their slice of it. Despite the fact the ground in the area is notoriously unstable and there isn't a tree taller than 10' any where to be seen.

It's totally an image thing. Let's just develop the shit out of everything so we can sell it as high brow. Then what? What comes next? as someone who was born and raised in Ogden, and having skied at Snowbasin for 20 years, is all so sad.
Sounds a lot like Deer Crest to me :haha:
At what point did you finally realize that Holding did not purchase Snow Basin for a tax write off but to develop it and sell it off piece by piece.
As for Ogden Valley it has been going the Park City route for quite awhile. The only thing that has slowed it down is the economy.
It makes me sad also but at this point it is water under the bridge.
Now where is that gondola from Ogden? :lol8: