PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon shutdown protesters dispersed at Lees Ferry

accadacca
10-01-2013, 10:26 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azdailysun.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/ad/2ad70614-2ade-11e3-8549-001a4bcf887a/524b3af844afd.preview-620.jpg

Law enforcement officials have dispersed a group of river rafters and others protesters who had gathered near the river entrance to Grand Canyon National Park at Lees Ferry.

The federal government shutdown blocked off the most popular input to the Colorado River today, resulting in dozens of would-be river rafters, fly fishermen and tourists being turned away at the road downriver of the Glen Canyon Dam. National Parks Service and Coconino County Sheriff

reverse_dyno
10-02-2013, 08:09 AM
I do not understand why it is legal for the Park Service to prevent people from using a road to get to a river. That would be like shutting down the sidewalks near the National Monuments in Washington. Just because the land is owned by the Park Service does not mean they have the ability to prevent people from going on the Land. USFS Land can still be accessed, while apparently Park Service Land is off limits. I have walked through Arches without paying, simply because there are many ways to get into the Park. It just goes to show how much the Park Service manages its land more like a city park, than a Wilderness. Of course that is why I avoid all National Parks whenever possible.

Sombeech
10-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Can you imagine planning a lifetime to raft the Grand Canyon for 14 or 21 days, having secured the permits long ago, only to get there all packed with tens of thousands of $$$ in gear and food, just to have the entrance shut down because the Federal Government can't do it's job right?

Bo_Beck
10-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Can you imagine planning a lifetime to raft the Grand Canyon for 14 or 21 days, having secured the permits long ago, only to get there all packed with tens of thousands of $$$ in gear and food, just to have the entrance shut down because the Federal Government can't do it's job right?

WOW! What a bummer for sure!

rich67
10-02-2013, 09:14 AM
You said it!! :angryfire: Give the POTUS and the Senate and Congress a week off WITHOUT pay, and we can save three times the amount of money that they pay park rangers for a month. No accountability!

jguest
10-02-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm not a fan of the Government. They need to go away and and it needs to be reformed with people who care more about people than they do about money.:crazycobasa:

I thought National Parks were in place to preserve the land from development so people could enjoy the unique features of the different geological locations? Not so the government can make a bunch of money and turn it into a tourist attraction and close it off if they feel like it. :nono:

dougr
10-02-2013, 01:18 PM
I do not understand why it is legal for the Park Service to prevent people from using a road to get to a river.

Because we have a President trying to inflict maximum pain and hassle to make a point. He's an effing thug.

rockgremlin
10-02-2013, 05:05 PM

Hey man....we voted them into office, so I guess it's our fault, right? :roll:

I think we're about due for that "A" word that gets thrown around in hushed tones. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't occurred yet.

rockgremlin
10-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Because we have a President trying to inflict maximum pain and hassle to make a point. He's an effing thug.

Word.

However, that GOP Jackass that is putting his foot down is doing the same thing. It's like a couple of 3rd graders bickering in the playground.