PDA

View Full Version : Seeking new hardshell jacket, advice welcome!

Tystevens
09-26-2013, 04:23 PM
All,

Sorry in advance if there is somewhere else this should go -- I didn't see a gear sub-forum. I'm ready to get a new lightweight hardshell to use for a variety of adventures. From packing and hiking to showshoeing to warm day skiing or skiing with my kids (I have a 13 yr old gore tex shell that is still functional for cold snowy resort days) to watching kids' soccer games in the rain/wind. Probably will also use it in bad/cold weather commuting to work on my road bike and the occasional winter mtb ride. Hopefully some high elevation mountaineering in the next few years (Shasta, Hood, maybe even Rainier). Looking for a light, versatile waterproof/breathable hardshell w/ a membrane (ie Goretex, eVent) rather than just a PU finish. I was a bit of a gearhead in my college days from '97-'01, spent a lot of $$ on stuff in those years, but haven't even looked much at outdoor gear since 2001 or so when I got married and started grad school! I'm starting to get out more these days, and am finding that lots of my gear is about ready for replacement. I'm also finding that a lot has changed since then ... lots of new materials, weights, brands, etc. I also tend to over analyze, over-research, and over-plan (just a little bit!), so new purchases are usually a rather involved process for me!

Fortunately, there are still some available on clearance (being an XL/XXL helps, as there is always a leftover laying around in the warehouse) and REI will be issuing its fall coupon soon (according to a sales associate, at least). I have 4 "finalists" at this point priced between $280 and $160.

Arcteryx Beta AR (3l goretex pro) -- heaviest duty material but still light weight at 16 oz -- far lighter than my old Marmot shell. Very nice jacket, probably most bombproof of the bunch. Possibly a little heavy for summer packing? Also, the material seems very noisy & stiff wearing it around the store, feels a little like a tarp -- does it wear in at all? Most expensive, but available on clearance for $280, so a screaming deal for a $550 jacket. Anyone used this for summer or backpacking use? Lots of friends who swear by this brand, but are they just buying into the hype? Or is this too good of a deal to pass on?

Arcteryx Alpha SL Hybrid (goretex paclite w/ Pro reinforcements). Seems like a nice blend of materials, quieter and nicer feel to exterior than the Beta. Lighter at 13 oz. Seems like a great compromise, feels nicer than the 3 layer proshell jacket. But at $280 (after REI 20% off coupon), biggest hangup here is if I should just get the Beta (and get a sub $100 super light rain jacket, ie Marmot Precip, for summer packing if the Beta is too heavy)? Also not sure if the jacket is worth $120 more than the next one on the list ("worth" being subjective, I know -- to me, $120 in the long run for a better product I will use a lot over several years is irrelevant, but I don't want to pay more just for a name, either!).

Outdoor Research Foray (goretex paclite). Nice jacket w/ 2 features others don't have -- pit zips go all the way to the hems on both sides for as much venting as you want, and it has a strap to keep the hood rolled up, which I imagine would be nice when on the bike. Fabric feels nice and soft, almost too nice, and I wonder how durable the DWR finish will hold up. Of course, OR has a rep of having a great warranty if it doesn't work, and I've used several OR products (hats, gloves, gators) which have been excellent. But it doesn't feel as "tough" as the dead bird jackets, and I don't want to be re-coating the DWR every few times out -- I'd rather spend $$ on a good fabric w/ a good finish than on Grangers treatments. Fabric is very quiet, though! 16 oz, so a little heavy for "what you get," so to speak. Cheapest of the bunch at $160 after REI coupon.

Westcomb Spector LT Hoody (3 layer eVent). A brand and a membrane I'm not at all familiar with, but which gets great reviews on the 'net. Not in stock at REI, so I can't personally inspect it, unfortunately. I'm mostly concerned about the lack of venting zips, but everyone claims "you don't need 'em w/ eVent." Anyone use a vent-less jacket who can attest? Both a 3-layer jacket, which bodes well for durability, and still the lightest at 12 oz. I'm a little concerned about the fit and length of jacket -- might be a little short for use on the bike per the online measurements. Also a little concerned about the company -- may not have the rep for warranty w/o question like Arc and OR do and all membranes can delaminate, although I'd be buying it at REI, so there is their warranty to rely on if necessary. Seems well priced at $209 on clearance.

I'm probably leaning toward the Westcomb at this point -- I can pull the trigger and take it back if it doesn't fit right, so that isn't a big deal, but my concern is the venting -- last thing I want is a light weight jacket that isn't even good for warm/summer hiking conditions, and if the light jackets I currently have (which are admittedly 10-13 yr old tech, so not an apples-to-apples comparison) didn't have venting zips, I'd cook!

Thoughts/opinions/experiences/suggestions welcome!

Bootboy
09-26-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm gonna say scratch all of the above and go with the Patagonia triolet jacket.

Tystevens
09-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. Why the Triolet over the Beta? The Triolet was on my initial "short list," but it is the same 3l pro goretex construction as the Beta, costs about the same, weighs more, and I didn't like the fit as well as the Beta -- seemed a little tighter in the shoulders and arms when I tried it on with my typical R1 and R2 insulating layers. Although it does seem like a good jacket.

Bootboy
09-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the reply. Why the Triolet over the Beta? The Triolet was on my initial "short list," but it is the same 3l pro goretex construction as the Beta, costs about the same, weighs more, and I didn't like the fit as well as the Beta -- seemed a little tighter in the shoulders and arms when I tried it on with my typical R1 and R2 insulating layers. Although it does seem like a good jacket.

I like the generous sleeves on the triolet, I can reach my arms straight up and the waist won't move an inch. It fits me great, which is unusual for Patagonia stuff. I like the high pockets that stay clear of of waist belts and climbing harnesses too. The high collar is great for when things get really nasty (50mph ridge top winds). The ventilation zips are HUGE. And last but not least, I got it for a price that I cannot disclose (pro).

Wasatch
09-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Arcteryx and Marmot make some of the best gear out there.

AbigailBlack
10-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Arcteryx is good. I recently bought many DELTA AR Glove and C40 Chalk Bag from them and got good pair of shoes from hypedc (http://www.hypedc.com/). Try it to see if it suites your need. :2thumbs:

Tystevens
10-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I ended up going with the Westcomb jacket w/ eVent membrane. I decided to go with something a little lighter than the Triolet/Beta AR, and at 11 oz, the Specter fits the bill. I was a little hesitant buying it sight unseen, but I am impressed so far. The fit on some of these jackets is often quite slim, and at 6' 240#, I am not slim, but the XXL fits fine with plenty of shoulder room and just right through the body.

First test was this morning's bike commute. I was actually hoping for a little rain/snow to test out the jacket and my new OR Drycomp Summit Sack waterproof pack (which is a pretty cool piece of equipment as well) -- I'm trying to be a little more courageous with my bike commuting in bad weather -- but alas, no rain, sleet or snow! Just a little chilly at 35*. Anyway, the jacket seems to breathe very well, was quite comfortable for my 10 mile/33 min ride. There was actually moisture on the pack from my back, but the jacket was dry, so I guess it was breathing pretty well. When I got to work, the only place there was moisture buildup on the inside of the jacket was on the lower arms, which I thought was a little odd, but I wore a heavier than necessary base layer and was feeling a little warm by the time I got to the office anyway.

So I think the jacket is a keeper. Lighter than my old 'light' rainshell, and the material feels high quality. I particularly like the inside feel of the jacket, not quite as slimy feeling as the 2-2.5 layer goretex packlite I looked at, so ... I'm still not convinced I won't need/want pit zips on a long uphill section of a hike, but we'll see.

DiscGo
10-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I bought a Mountain Hardware coat in 2007 and it has held up really well.