PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying Arches in photo

DesertDuke
09-15-2013, 08:21 PM
I am scanning some old family photos and I can't identify the arch(es) in these 3 shots. This is from a trip my Great Grandfather and Grandfather took in 1931 to the Moab area though I am not sure how far South they ended up traveling. One is marked rainbow bridge but in looking at the shots of rainbow I am just not seeing it as rainbow. One shot has one of them on top of a ridge but it appears to be in the foreground and not the arch itself. I can't even quite tell if they are the same arch. One is either a different one or from the other side.

If you can identify I would appreciate it.

The non-arch shot is just one that I threw in to fill that corner for the scan. If you know where that shot is I would appreciate that too.

Thanks for your help.

Scott P
09-16-2013, 07:11 AM
It's Double O Arch.

Iceaxe
09-16-2013, 07:53 AM
^^^ What he said... here is the info if you want to hike it.

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/devil.htm

DesertDuke
09-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks both of you and thanks for the link with the beta Iceaxe

Glenn
09-25-2013, 09:27 AM
This is one of the coolest things I've seen today. I love comparing old photos to current ones. And that you could go and visit a place 80-plus years after your grandfather and great-grandfather did...that's just awesome.

DesertDuke
09-25-2013, 08:08 PM
This is one of the coolest things I've seen today. I love comparing old photos to current ones. And that you could go and visit a place 80-plus years after your grandfather and great-grandfather did...that's just awesome.

I hope someone says that about my shots 80 yrs from now. More likely they will say something like "we cant view them because he stored them all as RAW files with a Lightroom Catalog sidecar file and we can't view old files like that anymore".

DesertDuke
11-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Just a follow up on this. Leprechaun ended up with two water sections we weren't expecting and didn't plan for... and after the SWIM in the 36 degree water......"which I did naked" (said in the voice of John Lovitz' liar character) we altered our further canyoneering plans (meaning I wussed out after laps ferrying the gear across the water) and decided on plan B which was chasing down the old photos. The pics are marked with a distinct 9 31 on the back and I'm sure that is what brought the original thought that these were 1931. However, after further investigation I have concluded that they were just before or just after WWII, so I'll just call them pre-1949 pics, likely 1948. We had an afternoon and a morning so I did my best to match the shadows. Thanks @Scott P and @iceaxe and Climb-Utah for the info to help find these locations.

This next one below gave us fits. We found the correct fins in the background, but just couldn't get the correct angle. We kept climbing different fins trying different angles and then finally lost the shadow and the shot just isn't the same without it.

This is another one that gave us fits. We found the spot but just could not get the exact angle. The sun went behind the clouds and we lost the shadows, which makes it look a bit different too.

A very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful Ranger gave us an idea where this one below might be, but we didnt have time and most importantly neither of us has a lobster claw hand that my Great Grandfather apparently grew for this shot.

A couple others but I'll spare you the entire trip. However, it was much more fun than I thought it would be chasing these down.

Sombeech
11-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Fun project!

Glenn
11-03-2013, 08:59 AM
:2thumbs: Like this post! <---until that feature returns to the site. :popcorn:

maarten.1975
11-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Fantastic to see the pics next to each other!
Also think I'm seeing some erosion, and the tree has grown.
Great work :mrgreen:

jman
11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Very cool Desert Duke! Thanks for letting us share those pics with ya.

You could hang those in your house somewhere like a 5x8 frame with the old pic vs the new pic. And do that for all of your photos. We have a similar setup at our house as a main feature when people walk in.

-Brett