PDA

View Full Version : Death in Subway 9-6-2013

Rudyo
09-05-2013, 11:35 PM
I picked up our Subway permit at the Kolob Canyon office today just before 5pm. The person at the desk told me that there had been a death in the subway today and that a rescue was underway since about 2pm. She said that a woman had fallen and hit her head on a rock someplace before the first obstacle, possibly on the first steep descent into the canyon from the trail.

This is of course unofficial news, but very sad if true. It serves as a somber reminder that while accidents do happen, we should always be extremely cautious and safe as we hike and explore this wonderful area.

I looked at the normal media sources and didn't see any info on it. Please post if you know or hear something.

Bootboy
09-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Awful news. I curious to hear the details as this develops. This year seems to be really bad for accidents.

Mountaineer
09-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Agree, a lot of accidents this year. One is too many. Thanks for posting up the news Rudyo.

Horrible news. To the family and friends, please accept my heartfelt condolence on your loss.

accadacca
09-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Bummer. :facepalm1:

accadacca
09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2013/09/06/canyoneer-dies-fall-zions-subway/

effjammer
09-06-2013, 03:45 PM
http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/fatalfallsubway.htm

NPS News Release

Date: September 6, 2013
Contact: Aly Baltrus (http://www.bogley.com/common/utilities/sendmail/sendemail.cfm?o=62HG%22J%28%5B2D%2BZ5MP%3E%5D%5B%2 02%2BHU%3A%2E%22%28A3H%20%20%20%0A&r=/zion/parknews/fatalfallsubway.htm), 435-772-0160

At 3 p.m. on Thursday, September 5, park rangers were notified of a serious fall in the Left Fork of North Creek, commonly called "The Subway." The park's search and rescue crew located the victim slightly off route. She had fallen over 100 feet and did not survive the fall.

The Left Fork of North Creek is a popular canyoneering route, accessible only with a wilderness permit. The 7-9 hour route requires navigating past numerous boulders, ledges, and waterfalls, as well as wading and swimming through several miles of the creek's cold water.

The victim, Ms. Cheri Haas, a 47-year-old female from Ohio, was completing the approach hike (approximately 2.5 miles) to the Subway with friends and was leading the group. It appears she missed a hard right turn down a steep 4th class scramble and instead went towards a cliff edge, when she slipped and fell from view. The woman's boyfriend rappelled down to her while the other two members of the group hiked out and phoned for help. Due to the difficulty in accessing this particular part of the canyon, the park is asking for help from the Grand Canyon National Park's helicopter search and rescue crew for assistance with the recovery.

"The park staff extends their condolences to Ms. Hass' family and friends," said Superintendent Jock Whitworth, "It is truly a tragedy."

This is the second incident in a week of a visitor getting too close to a cliff edge, slipping and falling. On Monday, September 2, a 33-year-old man fell in Behunin Canyon. Although not in the process of rappelling, Mr. Clark Proffitt was wearing a helmet, which likely saved his life. He is in the ICU at the University Medical Trauma Center in Las Vegas.

"In both instances, we strongly suspect that these events were caused by getting too close to the edge of a cliff," commented Whitworth. "Loose sand on slickrock may have been the cause of the falls. Given the topography of Zion National Park, these accidents could have occurred anywhere, even popular trails in the main canyon, including Angels Landing and Observation Point. All of us need to maintain situational awareness and be extremely careful anytime we are near an edge."

dlofting
09-06-2013, 04:57 PM
We did the same thing on our first trip through the Subway this August. Missed the right turn but realized our mistake when we got close to the cliff edge and saw a sling around a tree with what looked like a 100+ foot rappell. We backtracked and found where we had left the main trail. It's a bit sketchy there in places.

kiwi_outdoors
09-06-2013, 05:27 PM
odd that she got lost-I went there for the first time ever and had no confusion-lack of homework perhaps

dlofting
09-06-2013, 07:08 PM
odd that she got lost-I went there for the first time ever and had no confusion-lack of homework perhaps

The trail at that point actually goes two ways, although the "correct" way is more travelled. You can go the way she went and still end up in the bottom of the Left Fork canyon if you have the gear to do a 100 foot rappell. We didn't so backtracked. We also knew that the beta didn't mention a rappell of this length do knew there was another way.

Slot Machine
09-07-2013, 01:50 PM
My condolences to all involved. Such a terrible way to go.

We did the same thing on our first trip through the Subway this August. Missed the right turn but realized our mistake when we got close to the cliff edge and saw a sling around a tree with what looked like a 100+ foot rappell. We backtracked and found where we had left the main trail. It's a bit sketchy there in places.

I'm having trouble picturing where the accident occured... Could you provide a GPS point or satellite image of where she fell?

Is it the drop where you downclimb the tree roots into the watercourse?

dlofting
09-07-2013, 02:35 PM
It is the part where you downclimb into the watercourse....I think there are tree roots if you follow the path to the right. This leads to a pool of water....the first that we encountered. The downclimb is the only part of the approach that I would describe as a bit sketchy....much like the path down into Mystery Canyon. If you go to the left part way down the hill, rather than to the right, the path is steeper and the rock looser....it ends at a tree on a cliff overlooking the Left Fork canyon. I'm sorry I don't have a GPS coordinate but it's right where you drop into the canyon.

Rudyo
09-07-2013, 02:38 PM
I am pretty sure it was past the normal Subway approach, which is the steep down climb into Russell Gulch, just before the confluence with Left Fork. When we did the top down Subway route yesterday we passed by 3 Rangers that were at the confluence, stlll with her body awaiting the helicopter airlift. One of them indicated it happenned in that area, so it could have been up the Das Boot direction.

It is interesting that they appeared to be equipped for a big rappel, based on the news article saying her boyfriend rappelled down 100' to find her.

I agree that the standard downclimb is sometimes easy to miss. Even after having done the hike over a dozen times, I find a GPS with coordinates to be useful and is always part of my arsenal.

My condolences to her family and those in her party.

Slot Machine
09-07-2013, 02:49 PM
If you go to the left part way down the hill, rather than to the right, the path is steeper and the rock looser....it ends at a tree on a cliff overlooking the Left Fork canyon. I'm sorry I don't have a GPS coordinate but it's right where you drop into the canyon.

Makes sense, no need for further clarification. The rock covering that ledge is sketchy. Thanks for the info.

ststephen
09-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I remember coming to that spot on my first visit and thinking "Oh, this can't be the right way" and then looking around and noticing the tree root descent which would be better even if there were no tree roots. So sad, but makes one realize that even on "easy" routes there are dangers around us which need to be acknowledged.