PDA

View Full Version : Arizona man rescued after falling 100 feet in Zion NP

accadacca
09-03-2013, 06:23 PM
It seems like safety is a far more important issue to access in the Canyoneering community. Based on this summer alone! Thoughts?

--

A 33-year-old Arizona man was rescued early Tuesday morning after he fell 100 feet while rappelling in Zion National Park.
It happened in a remote area of Behunin Canyon, above the Emerald Pools. Park rangers said they were first notified about the incident at 5 p.m. Monday.

Park medics reached the victim shortly after midnight. When they arrived, they found the man had sustained significant leg, hip, arm and head injuries.

Due to the severity of his injuries and the remote location, Rescue Squadron 66 from Nellis Air Force Base was called in to extract the man.

The NAFB rescuers extracted the victim and his wife at 2:23 a.m. The victim was taken to University Medical Trauma Center in Las Vegas.

jman
09-03-2013, 07:29 PM
That last rap lands on nothing but giants rocks. That's a nasty fall, and landing too.

Speedy recovery!

Deathcricket
09-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Dayammm that's a long drop to survive as well. Blows me away when people survive something like that. I tossed this video up a year ago to make fun of my "shoulder slams" but it does show the rocky bottom and entire rap if anyone is curious what it looks like. It's really an awesome last rap and finish to a great canyon IMO. I know some people aren't fans of it though. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgOxHdodaH4

Mountaineer
09-03-2013, 09:57 PM
I believe the [KSL] article stated the fall occurred on the fifth rap.

Dev
09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
They also mentioned that he wasn't tethered in at the top and therefore most likely fell the full distance.:eek2: Scary! I hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

mzamp
09-04-2013, 09:47 AM
All of a sudden I don't feel so bad slipping and breaking my ankle nothing more than a hiking trail 50 yards from the highway coming out of Misery. :nod:

I hope for a full and speedy recovery for him.

flatiron
09-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Dayammm that's a long drop to survive as well. Blows me away when people survive something like that. I tossed this video up a year ago to make fun of my "shoulder slams"

Sure hope he is ok! Love the video and 'slams' I like to tell on myself my 1st canyoneering trip and 1st canyon Behunin. My more experienced buddy let me go 1st on this last rap. Got out to ledge where you can finally look down and saw rope all tangled up. Pulled self back up, untangled rope and tossed. Rapped to ledge and SWORE the rope was not touching ground. Pulled self up again, anchored into bolts for 50M ropes, buddy did short rap to me, we pulled rope and rethreaded thru 50M anchor (actually 2-60M ropes doubled). I start down, and AGAIN swear ropes too short, buddy does not believe me and tells me to rap. I do it (really dumb on both our parts). 1/2 way down I realize the shadow across the lower ropes makes it appear to be short - we actually are fine. Took us over an hour for us to do this easy rap, hotter than hell. I laugh now but this noob was pretty puckered up!! :lol8: Also colors my perspective if we have noobs along now, do not assume anything! :nono:

Taylor
09-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Yep, didn't happen at the last rap. Get well soon. "Zero rappelling accidents, a goal we can all live with."

Absolute Gravity
09-05-2013, 07:24 AM
So just got the low down on what happened. I haven't been down Behunin yet, so maybe someone else can pitch in a photo of the spot.

The accident happened at the fifth rappel, but not while on rappel. While at the top of the rappel the injured hiker spotted a rock feature on a fairly steep slope he wanted to check out, sounds like maybe a hoodoo. He made his way over to the feature and while at this feature slipped on a sandy ledge and slid around 20ft down the steep slope and then over the edge. The rest of the group rappelled down and found a very bloody, broken friend.

The result was a broken skull that will require surgery, some blood transfusions, broken ribs, leg, and I believe a few others. He did regain consciousness after his group got to the bottom of the rappel. Apparently his first words were along the lines of 'That was a stupid thing to do'

Bo_Beck
09-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Another accident occurred at the same location a number of years ago. Unfortunately the person didn't make it. My only suggestion....Don't walk beyond the anchors. Just getting to the anchor is risky enough on it's own.

Here is the anchor, and the slope beyond that is intriguing?

jman
09-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Is the fifth rap the one where the unavoidable water (that typically is waist deep) is? Or is it below this point?

Absolute Gravity
09-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Thanks Bo

I'd bet this is the rock feature.

Deathcricket
09-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Ahh that spot. No it's pretty sandy down there, or was when I last did it. I have a shot from a couple different angles. Thanks to everyone else for the details and corrections. The "100 foot fall" is what threw me off, that rap isn't very far at all. hearing the later details, it makes a lot more sense now.

Bo_Beck
09-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Is the fifth rap the one where the unavoidable water (that typically is waist deep) is? Or is it below this point?

In earlier years the alleyway held water and could be waist deep but in recent years the alleyway generally has been dry or contains very little water with the exception of winter months.

jman
09-05-2013, 08:25 AM
In earlier years the alleyway held water and could be waist deep but in recent years the alleyway generally has been dry or contains very little water with the exception of winter months.

Nice, thanks Bo. Guess it changed significantly since I was last there.

qedcook
09-05-2013, 08:58 AM
"Zero rappelling accidents, a goal we can all live with."

Do you guys think this is possible? With all the inherent risk associated with rappelling? Sure you can manage the risk well, but accidents happen.

deagol
09-05-2013, 11:38 AM
oH MY GOD ...:eek2: :sad:

Sandstone Addiction
09-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Do you guys think this is possible? With all the inherent risk associated with rappelling? Sure you can manage the risk well, but accidents happen.

With all the accidents that have been discussed on here, I believe they were all preventable/avoidable?

I believe that taking the necessary precautions that we've all been taught over and over again could very well approach, if not attain, zero accidents.

dlofting
09-05-2013, 06:53 PM

I definitely think it's possible.

Rappelling accidents, IMHO, are the result of human error, a lack of training/experience or a missmatch of skill level with the canyon environment.

Canyoneering has a risk component that can't be completely eliminated, but I think that's flash flooding, not rappelling.

Slot Machine
09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
An awful accident. A friend of a friend of a friend. Have not met the victim, but I sure feel bad for him and his group.

I hope all surgeries go well and all bones mend quickly. Best wishes to all involved.

Bob

lucach
09-06-2013, 01:15 AM
I definitely think it's possible.

I don't think it's possible, for the same reason that having Zero Driving Accidents is not possible.
It's just a matter of statistics, mixed with inexperience, stupidity and bad luck.

This article http://www.kcsg.com/view/full_story/23524755/article-Successful-Nighttime-Search-and-Rescue-in-Behunin-Canyon?instance=more_local_news1 says: "Witnesses reported that in another slot canyon, they advised the victim that he should be tied in near the edge. In this instance, the victim was not tied in at the time of his fall."

So it was not lack of technical training or lack of experience... it was overconfidence that caused the accident!

I experienced a very similar accident happen to a friend of mine. This friend is one of the most experienced and recognized canyoneers in Europe, yet a few years ago he was taking pictures of a multistage 500ft drop I was rappeling when he decided to climb up some rock near the edge and unexpectedly slid and started rolling down... it was the guy stationed at the anchor who grabbed him by the harness just before he went off the 500ft drop. My friend walked away with just bruises and bloody hands... but one second delay and he would have been dead.

Anything that will not kill you WILL NOT make you stronger but WILL make you wiser! As my friend did, hopefully this guy will too learn from his mistake... Maybe other people reading about his accident will learn too, but I'm betting we'll never get Zero Accidents in canyoneering... and we'll never get Zero Accidents in driving either.

dlofting
09-06-2013, 06:47 AM
I don't think it's possible, for the same reason that having Zero Driving Accidents is not possible.
It's just a matter of statistics, mixed with inexperience, stupidity and bad luck.

Driving is different as accidents often involve two cars/people. You can be doing everything right and still have a car accident because someone in another car did something wrong.

I agree that rappelling accidents are caused by inexperience and stupidity (prefer "human error") but I think that "bad luck" is just another word for not recognizing or thinking clearly about the potential dangers.

qedcook
09-07-2013, 03:27 PM
You can be doing everything right and still have a car accident...

You don't think that's true with canyoneering/rappelling? You could be doing everything right and a rock breaks off above you, cuts your rope, and you fall you your death. Accidents happen, always have, always will, no matter how prepared and skilled and experienced you are. It's human hubris to think otherwise.

spinesnaper
09-07-2013, 08:46 PM
The last rap in Behunin forever converted my partner and myself to believers in static rope, blocking, and being prepared for a fireman's belay. Gravity is no joke.:roll:

Ken

Bootboy
09-08-2013, 03:01 AM
You don't think that's true with canyoneering/rappelling? You could be doing everything right and a rock breaks off above you, cuts your rope, and you fall you your death. Accidents happen, always have, always will, no matter how prepared and skilled and experienced you are. It's human hubris to think otherwise.

The odds of that kind of an accident are astronomical in well traveled canyons. More often than not, canyoneering accidents are human error.

hank moon
09-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Obviously accidents cannot be eliminated b/c the potential for human error is ever present. It's not even a moot point. That said, we *can* strive to minimize the potential for accidents by developing our skills, knowledge, mental and physical conditioning etc. in the course of gaining experience which (if we survive) can give rise to the holy grail of safety, <angelic chorus and/or farting heard>, sound judgment.

Oh yeah, and wear a helmet, don't wear sandals, and secure your water bottles and all other stuff. An unsecured water bottle (especially) can fall out of pack and become a deadly missile. I've been on a few trips where that happened, thankfully no-one was hit.

Safety tip #106

Absolute Gravity
09-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Oh yeah, and wear a helmet

Looks like this was one of the differences between this accident and the Subway one. The girl in the Subway was not wearing a helmet.

Slot Machine
09-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Looks like this was one of the differences between this accident and the Subway one. The girl in the Subway was not wearing a helmet.

Unfortunately the spot where she fell isn't helmet territory. It is the end of the approach hike. The few people that bring helmets to The Subway won't be wearing them at that point.

Not saying a helmet would have saved her too. A fall from that height is almost always leathal.

Absolute Gravity
09-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Not saying a helmet would have saved her too. A fall from that height is almost always leathal.

Yet was mentioned as a contributing factor to this dude's survival. I'm surprised those things could offer any real protection on a big fall, but there are multiple cases of it happening. Amazing. Glad we have 'em.

Bootboy
09-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Yet was mentioned as a contributing factor to this dude's survival. I'm surprised those things could offer any real protection on a big fall, but there are multiple cases of it happening. Amazing. Glad we have 'em.

If nothing else, it increases your odds when it hits the fan, if ya know what I mean.

qedcook
09-09-2013, 10:08 AM
I might be remembering wrong, but didn't Tom fall once? My only point is that we shouldn't think ourselves so great and skilled and knowledgeable that we are immune from human error, freak accidents, bad luck, etc. When I read the details of an accident, I try not to instantly think: "Oh, they should have done this or that. They didn't know what they were doing." We should learn from the mistakes but we should NOT assume the group did something wrong or were not prepared or experienced enough. Haven't all of us bogley 'experts' had our own close calls?

hank moon
09-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Unfortunately the spot where she fell isn't helmet territory.

Helmet territory is subjective, right? I put mine on before heading down the Mystery death gully, for example. Seen a bunch of falls in there and the rock is sharp and pointy. Helmet's not much use in the pack...if you can fall a good distance onto stuff, or if the stuff can fall onto you, might as well put it on.

Slot Machine
09-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Helmet territory is subjective, right? I put mine on before heading down the Mystery death gully, for example. Seen a bunch of falls in there and the rock is sharp and pointy. Helmet's not much use in the pack...if you can fall a good distance onto stuff, or if the stuff can fall onto you, might as well put it on.

Subjective, certainly.

Comparing apples to apples: East Rim Trail to The Subway approach. Mystery Death Gully to Subway Tree Root Downclimb.

I'll never put on a helmet for The Subway approach unless I develop a seizure disorder. However, if one is going to wander off The Subway approach directly towards a cliff edge, then yes, a helmet should be donned. :nod: :mrgreen:

Bo_Beck
09-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Subjective, certainly.

Comparing apples to apples: East Rim Trail to The Subway approach. Mystery Death Gully to Subway Tree Root Downclimb.
:nod: :mrgreen:

Dude! You're going about it all wrong! Much shorter to take Wildcat Canyon TH to Subway route than to hike East Rim Trail to Subway! And Mystery Death Gully to Subway Tree Root Downclimb?! Thats one I haven't done either?!

Slot Machine
09-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Dude! You're going about it all wrong! Much shorter to take Wildcat Canyon TH to Subway route than to hike East Rim Trail to Subway! And Mystery Death Gully to Subway Tree Root Downclimb?! Thats one I haven't done either?!

Oddly, Temple of Sinawava to Ocsar's seems longer than any of em'.

:haha:

Bootboy
09-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Oddly, Temple of Sinawava to Ocsar's seems longer than any of em'.

:haha:

Amen

ratagonia
09-15-2013, 06:24 PM

There are risks that can be managed, and those that cannot. Most of the accidents we see are human error, and avoidable.

In my life, I have a personal policy of ZERO accidents that have severe injury or death as a consequence. I have only broken this policy once.

This is a stupid sport, and it would extra double-down stupid to die doing it.

Zero Accidents is an ideal that we can collectively work toward. For instance by giving attentive fireman belays as a matter of course, and wearing helmets even for such mundane canyons as the Subway, and by making it uncool to NOT wear a helmet.

Tom

ratagonia
09-15-2013, 06:29 PM
I might be remembering wrong, but didn't Tom fall once? My only point is that we shouldn't think ourselves so great and skilled and knowledgeable that we are immune from human error, freak accidents, bad luck, etc. When I read the details of an accident, I try not to instantly think: "Oh, they should have done this or that. They didn't know what they were doing." We should learn from the mistakes but we should NOT assume the group did something wrong or were not prepared or experienced enough. Haven't all of us bogley 'experts' had our own close calls?

I did, and I nearly killed myself. Only broke my wrist and tweeked my torso.

While my stupidity had me set up a bo-o-o-o-o-gus anchor, my skill at low force rappelling allowed me to reach 8 feet off the deck before the anchor failed. The rap was about 80 feet.

Tom :moses:

qedcook
09-16-2013, 08:48 AM
While my stupidity had me set up a bo-o-o-o-o-gus anchor, my skill at low force rappelling allowed me to reach 8 feet off the deck before the anchor failed. The rap was about 80 feet.

Out of curiosity, what was the canyon? Which rappel? Anchor? Details? No worries if you don't want to share, but it's always exceptionally helpful to learn from a pro's mistakes. No sarcasm in any of these statements, I promise.

ratagonia
09-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Out of curiosity, what was the canyon? Which rappel? Anchor? Details? No worries if you don't want to share, but it's always exceptionally helpful to learn from a pro's mistakes. No sarcasm in any of these statements, I promise.

The same old same old:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/tommy-takes-a-tumble-nov-2011-toms-view/

Tom

Scott Card
09-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Helmet territory is subjective, right? Agreed. I have put my helmet on before the tree root-grabbing descent into the Subway proper when I have been with noobs. They kick up all kinds of rocks and so forth and rarely let anyone know a rock is coming down the shoot until it hits someone. I have been apologized to but never warned - hence the helmet in that spot. :haha:

hank moon
09-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Agreed. I have put my helmet on before the tree root-grabbing descent into the Subway proper when I have been with noobs. They kick up all kinds of rocks and so forth and rarely let anyone know a rock is coming down the shoot until it hits someone. I have been apologized to but never warned - hence the helmet in that spot. :haha:

Glad to hear it, Scott. Wear 'em if you got 'em in rockfall (or U-Fall) terrain. I took a good one (rockfall) on the helmet a few weeks ago in Ouray...heavy enough to feel it in the spine. Whew.

lucach
09-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Tom, do you think a well positioned but discrete bolt could have prevented your accident? [Sorry... could not resist... :-P]

The truth is ZERO, is no longer ZERO when there's 1 exception. Don't you think? Yes we can try hard to get to ZERO accidents, but we'll never get to ZERO. It's an utopia. Most of the great canyoneers I know had an accident at some point. You were sandtrapped, Sonny broke his back jumping, Jenny screw up her arm, etc? Were any of you lacking proper training? Were any of you lacking experience? No, I don't think so.

Why did you break the ZERO rule then?

ratagonia
09-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Tom, do you think a well positioned but discrete bolt could have prevented your accident?
Why did you break the ZERO rule then?

Certainly, then again, staying at home, hidden in my basement would have prevented a fall too - though the Black Widows are rather active down there!

The link provides a thorough analysis of my errors. A good anchor was required, and we had all the tools needed on hand to provide for one, except the stuff between my ears working properly.

Sonny broke a vert jumping - well, I gotta tell you, while jumping is way fun, it is also dangerous, especially for us old farts. Like many risks, one that can be managed, but not eliminated.

The more disturbing accident of Sonny's that I know of is when he released a macrame he was rapping on because the rope was feeding out of his pack. Feeding the pull side of a macrame out of your pack while rappelling is just plain dumb - and I expect a whole ton more from Sonny than that.

Tom