PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new to Bogley.

Jow
08-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Hey Bogley:afro:

Just returned from a pretty mellow trip to Zion NP. We did no canyoneering as we were with family but my brother and I (both athletic guys, I'm 22 he's a bit younger) were definitely interested in canyoneering. I'm a mountain biker and never thought I'd be stoked on anything else but this looks really cool. So yes, I'm a complete noob, sorry :P

Anyways, just thought I'd say hello before I lurk here. I'm from SoCal so I won't be back in Utah until I can plan another trip out with my brother or other recruits, hehe. We value our lives, so we'll definitely be taking courses and using guides.

See you all around!

SRG
08-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Welcome to Bogley!

Canyonater
08-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Hey Bogley:afro:

Just returned from a pretty mellow trip to Zion NP. We did no canyoneering as we were with family but my brother and I (both athletic guys, I'm 22 he's a bit younger) were definitely interested in canyoneering. I'm a mountain biker and never thought I'd be stoked on anything else but this looks really cool. So yes, I'm a complete noob, sorry :P

Anyways, just thought I'd say hello before I lurk here. I'm from SoCal so I won't be back in Utah until I can plan another trip out with my brother or other recruits, hehe. We value our lives, so we'll definitely be taking courses and using guides.

See you all around!

Welcome fellow SoCalian......No need to wait til you head back to Zion....there are tons of canyon opportunities in So Cal (granted many are not as beautiful as Utah). The San Gabriels are full of them........

accadacca
08-23-2013, 06:23 AM
Welcome to Bogley! :2thumbs:

jman
08-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Welcome!

pikan
08-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Welcome!

Jow
08-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Welcome fellow SoCalian......No need to wait til you head back to Zion....there are tons of canyon opportunities in So Cal (granted many are not as beautiful as Utah). The San Gabriels are full of them........

Nice! Cali doesn't seem as noob-friendly as Utah. Can you recommend a starting point? An intro course my brother and I can take?

Iceaxe
08-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Welcome :2thumbs:

TommyBoy
08-23-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't know SoCal very well so I don't know how far away this is, but there is a rappel practice set up on http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneering/. They have quite a few of these so its a great place to meet people who can point you in the right direction.

Canyonater
08-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Nice! Cali doesn't seem as noob-friendly as Utah. Can you recommend a starting point? An intro course my brother and I can take?

There are plenty of noob friendly stuff here.....I would recommend just getting some basic rappelling instruction before spooling out the dough for a full fledged class. That way you can practice that and join a led group through a beginner canyon (Little Santa Anita, Bailey, etc...) to see if you're into it enough to warrant paying for more in depth training.

Mojave Silence
08-23-2013, 10:17 PM
ATS and Uber Adventures are the only companies that I know of that frequently teach classes in the LA area. Rich Carlson/ACA also teaches sporadically in the area.

Canyonater
08-24-2013, 10:32 PM
ATS and Uber Adventures are the only companies that I know of that frequently teach classes in the LA area. Rich Carlson/ACA also teaches sporadically in the area.

Rich hasn't been down here since March 3rd.......But Canyoneering California (Uber Adventures) regularly holds regular beginner rappel classes for like $40 at Stoney Point.

ratagonia
08-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Rich hasn't been down here since March 3rd.......But Canyoneering California (Uber Adventures) regularly holds regular beginner rappel classes for like $40 at Stoney Point.

Klaus is a good guy, can't go wrong with him as an instructor.

Tom

Jow
08-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks everyone. I've got my eyes and ears open and will jump on the first opportunity after the 28th! (CPA exam that day for me).