PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Iceaxe
07-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Rescued hikers drown inside vehicle leaving state park

A pair of hikers who had been rescued after getting lost in the fog and rain inside a Maine state park drowned on Tuesday night when their car plunged into the water off a boat launch as they were trying to leave.

Amy Stiner, 37, and Melissa Moyer, 38, were found dead inside a minivan in 20 feet of water about 175 feet from the boat ramp on the edge of Roque Bluffs State Park, the Washington County Sheriff's Department said. A dog, a pit bull mix who was with them, also drowned.

Officials say the women, who had just been returned to their vehicle by a game warden, took a wrong turn as they were driving away from the parking area.

"The end of the road becomes the boat landing and they just weren't familiar with it," Washington County Sheriff Donnie Smith told the Kennebec Journal. "It was foggy and rainy and they literally drove off the boat landing right into the water."

Stiner made a desperate call to 911 at approximately 9 p.m., saying they were trapped inside the submerged minivan and that it was filling up with water, according to the Bangor Daily News.

..View gallery."
The ramp where police say the women drove off the road. (Lt. Travis Willey/Washington County Sheriff

Deathcricket
07-25-2013, 04:57 PM
I know if I'm trapped in a submerged vehicle, the first thing I'll do it call 911. LOL

spinesnaper
07-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Very sad story. Vehicle submersion is highly lethal.

Iceaxe
07-26-2013, 08:22 AM
The deaths are sad, but the story sounds like a cartoon.

Waving goodbye the the guys that just rescued you and drive into a lake and drown.

:popcorn:

TommyBoy
07-26-2013, 08:27 AM
The deaths are sad, but the story sounds like a cartoon.

Waving goodbye the the guys that just rescued you and drive into a lake and drown.

:popcorn:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so, I was starting to worry about myself.

spinesnaper
07-26-2013, 08:45 AM
You just can't save everyone. Clearly these two were better off lost in the forest.:facepalm1:

Scott Card
07-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so, I was starting to worry about myself.
Ahhh, when you and Shane are thinking the same way, there is cause for concern. Just sayin.

TommyBoy
07-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Ahhh, when you and Shane are thinking the same way, there is cause for concern. Just sayin.

Probably, but at least I'm not alone in my crazy:crazy:

SRG
07-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.

That's ****ed up.

accadacca
07-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Obviously their number was called...twice.

Sombeech
07-27-2013, 11:19 PM
When the phone got wet, they became distracted from escaping while instead looking through their luggage for containers of rice to dry the phone out in.

Either that or they were on hold with OnStar waiting for them to remotely unlock their vehicle.

It's late, I get an automatic pass on each insensitive joke.

Slot Machine
07-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Huh? Did they have canyoneering ropes in their car or something? :haha:

Seems like a great thread for the 'general' forum. :mrgreen:

spinesnaper
07-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Bob

It is my observation that canyoneers are always interested in learning from the errant activities of other very experienced outdoors people.

Iceaxe
07-29-2013, 06:14 AM
Huh? Did they have canyoneering ropes in their car or something? :haha:

Seems like a great thread for the 'general' forum. :mrgreen:

This rescue/death sounded so stupid and unnecessary I figured it had to be a couple of noobs on their way to do either The Subway or The Wave....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3