PDA

View Full Version : Help camping info near Zion

Byron
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
I've been to Zion many times, but the last time was '04? Anyway, I'll be rolling in there late afternoon/early evening on Friday, August 2nd.

I'll be coming from southern Colorado after spending time with friends, and I figure that night I'll camp down the road the leads to Rock Canyon, as the campgrounds in Zion most certainly will be full.

On Saturday, I'll go to the park early and jump on a campsite at South/Watchman for my basecamp for the next week. There may be a night or two that I'll be backpacking (Right Fork, perhaps?) So my question is this:

Is that place next to the river between Virgin and Rockville still open for camping? Kelsy calls it "Mosquito Cove". I've camped there many times in the past when shut out of Zion but it's been long enough that I want to check with you locals that would know if someone blocked it off. Thanks...

2065toyota
07-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Mosquito Cove & Coal Pits are both closed to camping

Byron
07-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Bummer...but I figured the day would come.

ratagonia
07-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Shoot me an email, I'll give you a couple potential spots.

ratagonia at gmail dot com

Tom

farrarhelen
07-10-2013, 12:26 AM
thanks

farrarhelen
07-10-2013, 01:11 AM
sir please send me an email regarding potential spots.

2065toyota
07-11-2013, 01:26 PM
There is a lot of camping available. With all the Forest Service & BLM land in the area, if it isn't marked as private you can camp there.

Scott P
07-11-2013, 02:47 PM
With all the Forest Service & BLM land in the area, if it isn't marked as private you can camp there.

Unless posted as closed. Much of the BLM land has actually been closed to camping.

There still are several spots of course, but many don't like to divulge them online, partially because once a camping area gets popular, it too has a risk of being closed.

Byron
07-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Like I said, nearly 10 years ago Mosquito Cove was starting to get pretty gnarly.
More than likely, I'll be able to secure a site in the park...as I'll be there during the week. If not, then I'll spring for a motel in Springdale.

I may backpack the Right Fork or something else...if I hike out late in the afternoon, it would be nice to know straight where to go just to crash rather than go on a hunting trip, ya know? It's kinda unique down there as there aren't lots of dirt roads that you could cruise down a ways and throw down a bag.

Kelsey says there's a few places up the road to Kolob Res., up near or on Smith Mesa...anyone know if they're still bagable?

Scott P
07-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Kelsey says there's a few places up the road to Kolob Res.,

I believe they are. Plus it's a lot cooler up there in summer.

ratagonia
07-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Like I said, nearly 10 years ago Mosquito Cove was starting to get pretty gnarly.
More than likely, I'll be able to secure a site in the park...as I'll be there during the week. If not, then I'll spring for a motel in Springdale.

I may backpack the Right Fork or something else...if I hike out late in the afternoon, it would be nice to know straight where to go just to crash rather than go on a hunting trip, ya know? It's kinda unique down there as there aren't lots of dirt roads that you could cruise down a ways and throw down a bag.

Kelsey says there's a few places up the road to Kolob Res., up near or on Smith Mesa...anyone know if they're still bagable?

Out Smith Mesa way, lots of 'hunting camps' - i.e. places people have camped and left somewhat of a mess. We've used the one on the left, just past the sharp turn, maybe 1/2 mile out that road. Not the best, but usable and quiet.

The gnats could be bad, but it has been so dry, maybe not.

Tom

Byron
08-12-2013, 05:28 PM
For anyone that's interested...I rolled into Zion late in the afternoon on a Friday. Of course, the campgrounds were full. So I drove down the road a few miles to Rockville and drove across the bridge (Bridge Road) and made my way to the dirt road that heads south from there. It's called the Smithsonian Road, or something like that and shoots off the Gafton road. Look at Google maps and you can't miss it.

Bottom line, it's a great place to go if you're looking for a place to crash near the park...there are plenty of places to pull into.

The next morning, I went into the park and secured a campsite for the next week. I was talking to the campground host, and she told me that every morning, at least a third of the sites clear out...tourist doing the "grand tour". But, you need to get there before 9am on the weekends and before 11am during the week. I witnessed this firsthand during the time I was there.

Don't think that getting there at 6am gives you an edge, as most people just kind of enjoy the coolness of the morning and most won't start leaving until at least 7:30.

Zion sure is fun...it's like Disneyland.