PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps "Street View" of Slot Canyons?

SRG
07-02-2013, 04:53 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/trending/2013/07/01/google_trekker_street_view_backpack_may_go_on_loan _to_some_amateurs.html

How long do you think it'll be before we can browse slot canyons in Street View on google maps? Thoughts?

jman
07-02-2013, 05:49 PM
They probably can't get wet, and they weight around 44lbs and are quite tall.

I could see non-technical slots being done like little while horse and ding and dang or something but not something like Imlay or the Subway. But who knows, maybe thats what they want.

Can you imagine rappelling with a 44lb backpack? That's a lot of weight while being horizontal.

But I suppose it's a matter of time before something like this happens though.

Iceaxe
07-02-2013, 07:51 PM
We already have the GoPro view of a large number of slot canyons and it will only improve with time and technology.

And speaking of the GoPro view, here is a large number of Utah slot canyons:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CanyoneerUT

zzyzx
07-03-2013, 09:19 AM
...cool stuff, Iceaxe! :thumbup:

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X+ mit Tapatalk 4 Beta

canyonguru
07-03-2013, 02:19 PM
what cfs was the subway running in the video. i remember reading the trip report back in 2011

Iceaxe
07-03-2013, 03:29 PM
what cfs was the subway running in the video. i remember reading the trip report back in 2011

Full story and pictures are here:
http://climb-utah.com/Zion/subway2.htm

Not sure if I know the CFS, maybe Anthony or Gavin will chime in.

FWIW: A little bird told me the story and video might soon be part of a weather channel special.

:popcorn:

ilipichicuma
07-04-2013, 05:49 AM
We didn't have a clue what the CFS was (I was there with Anthony and Gavin). Canyonman, made a guess, but I only vaguely remember what he said (8 or 9 maybe?) but he said that he wasn't a very good judge either. Lots of water is what it amounted to, though.

maarten.1975
07-04-2013, 08:28 AM
How long do you think it'll be before we can browse slot canyons in Street View on google maps? Thoughts?

I hope it will never be possible, imo it can only be experienced being there.

It may also give people a really wrong idea of what to expect, if conditions change from how they are stored in canyon-view. Or they would have to be there in all conditions, and change the viewable images according the current situation. What will teh future bring? I'm damn sure nothing can beat being there yourself!
:nod:

canyonguru
07-04-2013, 12:48 PM
maybe next year i will shoot for subway during spring run off. I woun'd mind doing it with a little flow. Not as much as you guys that was nuts maybe half that. It would be fun to do Das boot with a little flow also.

Iceaxe
07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
maybe next year i will shoot for subway during spring runoff.

It's not as easy to do spring runoff any more... the NPS has decided to save us from ourselves and has stopped issuing permits when the water gets big. I'm not sure how they decide when to close the Subway, but it has been closed at times during spring runoff since this story and video.

Bootboy
07-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Eff me... As if some of these places aren't crowded enough. Just because we have the technology, doesn't mean this is a good idea. It serves no useful purpose. I think it's a dumb idea.