PDA

View Full Version : Help Bensen (Benson) Creek approach

2065toyota
06-18-2013, 06:10 PM
We are going to be camping up that direction this weekend and I've heard of a few ways to approach the canyon. Most say there isn't a good way. Just curious if anybody knows anything better. There isn't a lot of info out there other than I know the longest rap is about 100'. Thanks in advance

oldno7
06-19-2013, 04:36 AM
As you are hiking up the trail towards the canyon, take the 2nd trail on the right.

If you are feeling froggy, just after turning right, look against the steep hill and you will see a steep, scree chute.

Hike/climb up this chute(wear helmets, been at least one head injury there from falling rock) once to the top, bushwack your way along the canyon rim, staying high until you reach the most prominent drainage coming into Benson. Drop into Benson, hike down to first rappel(105')

Or version #2 is stay on the trail I mentioned, after taking the 2nd right. Follow this trail up to the top of first hill, you'll find an old logging road that parallels Parowan canyon. Stay on this road until it takes you into the Benson drainage, just after the first clearing, bushwak your way down into Benson Cr.

I had all the GPS coordinates on the old aca site, not sure if they are still retrievable, haven't been to that site in years.

2065toyota
06-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Sounds good. Thanks.

2065toyota
06-23-2013, 08:30 PM
3rd trail on right now just in case anybody heads that way. Maybe another was added. We did the scree chute and I think that is the best option. Steep but fairly short.