PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Savants

bjp
06-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Does anyone have any size 11 or 11.5 Five Ten Savants they'd be willing to sell? Used is fine as long as they have perhaps 50% life left.

Alternately, does anyone have suggestions for similar shoes? I've tried the Insights and Camp 4's and I don't like either of them quite as well. I'm a huge fan of ultrasticky so the Tennies (with different soles) don't seem so good. Canyoneers/SARs are great for serious canyons, but heavier/bulkier than I want a lot of times.

hank moon
06-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Does anyone have any size 11 or 11.5 Five Ten Savants they'd be willing to sell? Used is fine as long as they have perhaps 50% life left.

Alternately, does anyone have suggestions for similar shoes? I've tried the Insights and Camp 4's and I don't like either of them quite as well. I'm a huge fan of ultrasticky so the Tennies (with different soles) don't seem so good. Canyoneers/SARs are great for serious canyons, but heavier/bulkier than I want a lot of times.

I've heard good things about the Vasque Scree (w/stealth rubber)

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/vasque-scree-mid-hiking-boots-waterproof-for-men~p~4135w/?filterString=s~scree%2F&colorFamily=01

STP no have in your requested size, though.

Everyone I know who owns Savants has been disgusted by their low-quality construction: rapid sole delam and upper disintegration. I suppose a large tube of AquaSeal might hold them together long enough to make 'em worth the cost?

p.s. loads of women's sizes on STP:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/vasque-scree-mid-hiking-boots-waterproof-for-women~p~5214d/?filterString=s~scree%2F&colorFamily=01

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/vasque-scree-low-ultradry-trail-shoes-waterproof-for-women~p~5452x/?filterString=s~scree%2F&colorFamily=01

Men with lower-volume feet might take note...

bjp
06-05-2013, 09:44 AM
I've heard good things about the Vasque Scree (w/stealth rubber)

Looks like a good boot, but probably heavier and with a lot less drainage than I was hoping for.

Everyone I know who owns Savants has been disgusted by their low-quality construction: rapid sole delam and upper disintegration. I suppose a large tube of AquaSeal might hold them together long enough to make 'em worth the cost?

I pre-treat all my canyoneering shoes with a generous amount of Aquaseal, so maybe that's the difference. My Savants are falling apart, but all my canyoneering shoes fall apart. If anyone hasn't totally destroyed their 11/11.5 Savants, I'd be happy to take that low-quality construction off your hands :)

hank moon
06-05-2013, 10:01 AM
I pre-treat all my canyoneering shoes with a generous amount of Aquaseal, so maybe that's the difference. My Savants are falling apart, but all my canyoneering shoes fall apart. If anyone hasn't totally destroyed their 11/11.5 Savants, I'd be happy to take that low-quality construction off your hands :)

I also treat w/Aquaseal, and make a distinction between "fall apart" and "wear out". All my shoes eventually wear out, but they do not fall apart. The Savant has a rep for falling apart before wearing out. Good to know Aquaseal can help mitigate that :)

spinesnaper
06-05-2013, 11:34 AM
I am also totally bummed by the lack of availability of the Savants. I have been through several pair. Never has a sole delaminate-that seems to be the strongest part. The mesh part of the uppers a total different story-shredded in the canyons. I tried on Canyoneers but just could not do it. I think we need to petition Adidas to reissue the Savants.

I agree the Vasque Scree looks like too much shoe.

Ken