PDA

View Full Version : Lower Eaton Canyon - So Cal

Slipknot
05-20-2013, 01:07 PM
We did Lower Eaton Canyon around the end ofMarch while the water flow was decent. My buddy put together a short 1:40 videoso I figured that I would share. Once it gets hot down here, this is oneof the few canyons available with water to keep cool.

<span style="font-family: Verdana">
http://vimeo.com/63220751

Credit Jon Dalton for the video

Here are a few pics

Jon getting some air time

Marty on last rappel

ilipichicuma
05-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Awesome! I want to go to there.... :2thumbs:

Eric Holden
05-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Almost went this weekend. One of my favorites. Plus rappelling into bikini clad college girls on the last rap is always a nice end to the day.

Slipknot
05-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Yep....all of the college girls seem to find their way to Eaton for sunbathing at the last falls. There is also the entertainment of S&R helicopter hovering over the last to raps to see who needs rescued. You know it is bonehead central when S&R feels the need to do 2 flybys every Saturday and Sunday.

This weekend was a little cool. Did you still forgo the wetsuit?? I have some friends that want to go in the next week or so but wasn't sure how the water was.

Eric Holden
05-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Yep....all of the college girls seem to find their way to Eaton for sunbathing at the last falls. There is also the entertainment of S&R helicopter hovering over the last to raps to see who needs rescued. You know it is bonehead central when S&R feels the need to do 2 flybys every Saturday and Sunday.

This weekend was a little cool. Did you still forgo the wetsuit?? I have some friends that want to go in the next week or so but wasn't sure how the water was.

Key word "Almost" did head out there. But personally I would not be wearing a wet suit in this weather.

joeb
05-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Nice - how long did it take and did you need to build out anchors along the way?

Slipknot
05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
8 hours just taking our time. All natural anchors except for the last rappel that is bolted. This last time through, I noticed that someone finally put in a chain anchor epoxied the rapid link closed. Last year, I came to the last rappel and upon inspecting the webbing, I noticed that somebody cut 3/4 the way through the webbing near the knot with a knife. It was not easily seen but someone apparently thought it was funny. Obviously one of LA's finest decided to cut the webbing while taking a break from spray painting all of the rocks in the area.

bjp
05-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Yep....all of the college girls seem to find their way to Eaton for sunbathing at the last falls.
Those are high school girls.

As of 5/4, the water was still surprisingly cold, especially for a pretty dry year. Even though it was a hot day, about 2/3 of my group were glad they had more than shorties. I'd probably recommend a shorty for comfort, but it's not like sans wet suit is a safety hazard.