PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted on Escalante / Grand Staircase area

laurieb
04-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Hi!

I just discovered this forum in the process of planning a trip to Utah. After reading all the great trip reports, I've decided to do a backpacking trip in Coyote Gulch. I'll have a few days left to explore the area and was thinking of staying in Escalante or Boulder for a night or two. Both seem fairly close to some great day hiking (Peek-a-boo, Willis Creek). Any opinions on one town versus the other? Also, what other day hikes should I consider. All said I will have 3 full days for the Coyote Gulch trip and two and a half for other hikes.

Thanks!
Laurie

Scott P
04-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Any opinions on one town versus the other?

Depends on what you want to do. Either have great access to some awesome stuff.

Either would work equally well for Calf Creek Falls. For Boulder Creek, Boulder is closer and for Peekaboo/Spooky/Brimstone and Zebra, Escalante is closer.

Either have years worth of exploring that can be done.

Recommended day hikes (there are many more than this):

Peekaboo/Spooky/Brimstone
Calf Creek Falls (Upper and Lower)
Boulder Creek
Zebra/Bighorn/Tunnel
Egypt 3

kiwi_outdoors
04-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Better dining in Boulder ONLY when the two restaurants are open. They are seasonal. Hells Backbone and Burr Trail if I remember correctly.

laurieb
04-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks so much for the info Scott and Kiwi. I'll be there the second week of May so I am assuming things will be open. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. Am tempted to split my time between the two places. Going to be tough to decide which hikes to do.

akavalun
04-17-2013, 06:25 AM
I would cast my vote for staying in Escalante. More options for accommodations and dining. The Escalante Outfitters has some great food. I also think there is more to see down the hole in the rock road than the boulder area. Devils Garden is also worth a few hours visit, not to mention there is also Dance Hall rock, 40-mile/willow, 50-mile, neon canyon.......and plenty more.

Scott P
04-17-2013, 07:17 AM
(double post)

Scott P
04-17-2013, 07:19 AM
I also think there is more to see down the hole in the rock road than the boulder area.

Both areas certainly have lots to see. Hole in the Rock Road has the places you mention, and Boulder/Burr Trail/Wolverine Loop area has Upper Calf Creek, Boulder Creek, Deer Creek, Wolverine Petrified Forest, Little Death Hollow, Hobbs inscription, etc. Both areas have a whole lot to see and lots of good stuff.

yetigonecrazy
04-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Willis Creek is one of my favorite hikes anywhere on the Plateau. It might be a bit far from Boulder but it isn't too bad from Escalante. You can pair that with Bull Valley (tougher) or the Cannonville Slots for a full day over in that neck of the woods.

erial
04-20-2013, 05:32 PM
In the same general area as the Calf Creeks Falls you can hike a couple miles from a parking lot below the Highway 12 bridge up the Escalante River to the Escalante Natural Bridge. Phipps Arch and Maverick Natural Bridge can be accessed via a side drainage downstream from the highway bridge. From that parking lot you can also spot rock art and ancient ruins.

Sandstone Addiction
04-20-2013, 08:18 PM
All the above suggestions are very good, but I will add the Boulder Mail Trail to the list. Pretty nice because you spend time in multiple drainages and easy to customize your hike with the time you have available.

If you don't already have a copy of Michael R. Kelsey's Non-Tech Hiking Guide To The Colorado Plateau, it has lots of info on most of the hikes listed above including this one.

laurieb
04-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I feel like I need 2 more weeks just to see it all - I've actually decided to cut out a day in SLC visiting friends to spend more time in the area. Now we're going to stay in Escalante every day except the last day down there (will spend the night at the Boulder Mountain Lodge and check out Hell's Backbone).

I've made a top 5 list:
1. Peek-a-boo/Spooky/Brimstone
2. Willis Creek
3. Phipps Arch
4. Neon Canyon
5. Escalante River
Backup for a rainy day: Lower Calf Creek Falls

If we manage to pack it all in an have a day to spare, I think we'll try to do Little Death Hollow when we are in Boulder. If anyone has any thoughts on the list above (i.e. would swap another hike out for one of the places above), I welcome your suggestions.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Super helpful!

-Laurie

Scott P
04-21-2013, 06:22 PM
I feel like I need 2 more weeks just to see it all

Even 20 years is nearly not enough to see it all.

If anyone has any thoughts on the list above (i.e. would swap another hike out for one of the places above), I welcome your suggestions.

Willis Creek is really great, but if you are already headed down the Hole in the Rock Road, it would be a bit out of the way.

Phipps Wash is pretty good, but that time of year, the slots are great and the canyons with water are getting really good too. If you are going to be at the Egypt Trailhead anyway, I'd suggest Egypt 3 as a combo with Neon, but on the other hand, are you really staying in Escalante the whole time? If so, be aware that it's a pretty long drive out to Neon. If so, E3 won't work with Neon.

If by the Esclante River, are you talking about the Escalate to Calf Creek hike? It's OK for a day hike, but I'd really suggest it as an overnighter and take in lower Death Hollow, one of the highlights of Escalante. By doing it in a day, you are really going to miss out on some of the highlights.

It would also be a shame to miss Calf Creek Falls. Although Phipps Wash is good, I'd say Calf Creek is better .

laurieb
04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Scott. I was planning on spending a day or two in Escalante / Boulder before and after spending 3-4 days along Hole in the rock (including doing Coyote Gulch). I think I'm going to take your advice and swap Willis for E3 and I may just camp as I go along Hole in the Rock (and skip a little quality time at the Circle D). Not sure we have enough time to do Lower death hollow and the Escalante river without dropping some of the other places. I may come back and explore Death Hollow with the Boulder Mail trail some time in the future. Will definitely add Calk Creek back to the list.

Scott P
04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
I was planning on spending a day or two in Escalante / Boulder before and after spending 3-4 days along Hole in the rock (including doing Coyote Gulch).

In that case, if you can squeeze it in, consider the 40mile/Willow Loop, which is just south of Coyote Gulch. It's probably the most fun non technical hike in all of the Escalante, and really spectacular. You may not have time though. There is so much to see down there.

erial
04-23-2013, 04:53 AM
While staying in Escalante, consider an after dinner drive on the Old Sheffield Road. Just a few miles long with frequent pullouts and scenic views.