PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Canyon to Water Canyon (question)

JFstego
04-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I am planning to do the 11 mile loop hike in mid April. My question is whether one needs to walk through creeks on this loop and how deep the water will likely be in April. I bought Bo&Tanya's book in which the recommended equipment is merely "sturdy hiking shoes" but no mention of special shoes for river walking. On the other hand, Tanya's web site http://www.zionnational-park.com/water-canyon-arch.htm seems to recommend shoes for river walking. I guess I am a little confused as to what to expect on this loop. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

tanya
04-05-2013, 04:17 PM
You don't need special shoes for water walking. The only place you will hit any water is in Water Canyon itself and in mid-April the water there should just be a trickle.

If you were going to do the slot canyon of Water Canyon, then you would need canyoneering shoes, but they are not needed for the hike through Squirrel Canyon and out Water Canyon. :)

JFstego
04-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the reply, Tanya!. I figured you would be the best one to answer this.

Jessica

dhaller
04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
what's peoples' experience with ascending/descending water canyon with dogs? sounds narrow with steep drop offs but is it fairly safe for a sure footed/four footed companion?

Thanks,
Debby