PDA

View Full Version : How To Handline Fail x2

mzamp
03-26-2013, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW2XZ32GS5Q&feature=youtu.be

dude9478
03-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Yikes! They need to take it a little slower. When coming up to a down climb with a hand line, I always make sure I have a very good grip on the line, and I always take a minute to find a good spot to place my feet. The first person didn't get a good grip with their 2nd hand. The second didn't position their left leg properly resulting in a slip. Both could have been avoided by taking a minute to evaluate.

Renatomic808
03-26-2013, 01:28 PM
no one was hurt.. so i had to laugh.

SRG
03-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Hahahahaha awesome. Better with this music in the background...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4RHZ1ssCBA

Thanks for the post and thanks to the two ladies who fell for being good sports and allowing the video to be put online for us all to laugh at.

Glad no one was hurt. It's falls like those two where helmets can make a huge difference.

jman
03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks mzamp for sharing that. People need to see these things so it becomes engrained that's it's not always rainbows and unicorns, as most canyoneer vids are.

And like SRG, helmets are needed too.

But on a sidenote, you guys look like the same age as me and it's hard finding same-age women who like this stuff!! Most just wanna do corona arch swing but stuff like this scares em to death...go figure...

Renatomic808
03-27-2013, 04:05 AM
They wanna do the rope swing, cuz it "looks so cool", especially the way it was edited and put together. They're all drawn to the groups of people laughing together, and having fun. No real work is involved for them either. It's "strap me up, and throw me down".

Canyoneering is hours of hard work ON YOUR OWN. Making an insane video with LOTS of people giggling and laughing in a canyon together is near impossible. At least here on Maui, due to the time it takes to do these routes. Don't get me wrong, we are usually laughing and giggling in a canyon. But we are usually on the move. Not holding hands, shoulder to shoulder standing in one place dancing. Filming just doesn't seem to work. However, we have succeeded in making "epic journey" videos. Usually manly/gladiator type videos, do not make women want to do it.

How old are you Jman?

We've got a decent amount of women canyoneering here on Maui. Considering that its only like a dozen or so of us... there's almost half are women. lol

jman
03-27-2013, 04:16 AM
They wanna do the rope swing, cuz it "looks so cool", especially the way it was edited and put together. They're all drawn to the groups of people laughing together, and having fun. No real work is involved for them either. It's "strap me up, and throw me down".

Canyoneering is hours of hard work ON YOUR OWN. Making an insane video with LOTS of people giggling and laughing in a canyon together is near impossible. At least here on Maui, due to the time it takes to do these routes. Don't get me wrong, we are usually laughing and giggling in a canyon. But we are usually on the move. Not holding hands, shoulder to shoulder standing in one place dancing. Filming just doesn't seem to work. However, we have succeeded in making "epic journey" videos. Usually manly/gladiator type videos, do not make women want to do it.

How old are you Jman?

We've got a decent amount of women canyoneering here on Maui. Considering that its only like a dozen or so of us... there's almost half are women. lol

I agree 100% with everything you said. It is a good point that people are drawn to the excitement and clapping and smiling etc. Little do they know that each swing reset takes 30mins up to an hr each time, all the while everyone is getting heat stroke on top of the arch. I have much more fun in a canyon. Don't get me wrong the jump is exciting.

I'm 29. Now I should say that we have had women on our trips before but it's 5:1 ratio or a 10:1 ratio.

Women love running, jogging, and volleyball, but outside of that the numbers drop significantly. So I find it very cool when fun ladies join our trips. And you guys who's wives/girlfriends go with you - and enjoy it - , consider yourself very privileged...I'm jealous. It just strikes me strange as this is a very demanding physical sport, more so than running, jogging m, etc. so with that I'm surprised more women don't join in on the sport. Haha...maybe I should split this into its own thread "why more women don't canyoneer".

But hey, if I make it out to Maui in October I will hit you up and I wanna do some these canyons you've been showing us! ;)

hank moon
03-27-2013, 08:51 AM
And like SRG, helmets are needed too.

where else ya gonna put the MDD?

mayhem documentation device :)

Iceaxe
03-27-2013, 09:07 AM
mayhem documentation device :)

[B][SIZE=3]Mayhem Documentation Device

Renatomic808
03-27-2013, 02:27 PM
But hey, if I make it out to Maui in October I will hit you up and I wanna do some these canyons you've been showing us! ;)
October is a good month for canyons. Usually the weather is still very dry, which opens up dozens of canyons. We'll probably have another half dozen routes added by then. September is also a very good month of canyons. Feel free to let me know when you're coming out here.

ren

CustomCaptain
11-06-2013, 05:47 AM
We're Maui bound this week- and have our canyon gear in tow. Looking for Maui locals want to show us around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

qedcook
11-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Just downclimb that drop! :-)

Bootboy
11-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Or a depth check and a jump... Dat how I do

TommyBoy
11-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Looks like the handline is harder than the downclimb in that situation

qedcook
11-07-2013, 12:45 PM
If you've done the black hole, you know downclimbing that drop is easier.

ilipichicuma
11-09-2013, 12:47 AM
I used the rope there and didn't find it hard, either. Though if it's wet I'm sure it's easy to slip.

dfsfilm
11-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Didn't know it at the time, but seems I was witness to a piece of youtube history - here's said rope/hand-line being installed by everyone's favorite canyoneer:

https://vimeo.com/79223600