PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Mountain, my luck continues I drew a spring black bear tag!

MY T PIMP
03-14-2013, 08:31 AM
I've been applying for a Black Bear Tag in Utah for 6 years now, with 5 bonus points (and max point applicants for the Boulder were 8) my chances of drawing were 1/17, and never have I drawn anything in Utah without max bonus points. Which is why, I was ever so surprised when my wife told me we had a $83.00 pending charge to our checking account from the DWR. I now have 2-1/2 weeks to train for 2 months of rigorous bear hunting. Boulder mountain is known for some big bruins. I've even talked to a rancher who's stock has fell victim to a notorious cattle killing cinnamon 500 lb boar which has preyed on numerous calves, and even full grown cattle. This bear has eluded hunters for years I'm told, and even has a reputation of honing in on rifle shots from deer and elk hunters as there is usually an easy gut pile meal at the end of that rainbow. Sounds like I am in for a hell of ride for the months of April and May. I have 2-1/2 weeks to get into some sort of shape, as I wasn't really prepared to get lucky with the draw. This is a pic of a big 450 lb Cinnamon boar Taken by Cody Mock last year on the Boulder. I would appreciate in advice or knowledge any of you have for Bear hunting the Boulders.64120

2065toyota
03-14-2013, 08:49 AM
There is generally always bear hanging around the upper and lower barker resevoir area. My uncle guides up there a lot. I will hit him up to see what he has heard

accadacca
03-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Damn MY T, congrats! I look forward to hearing your stories. I have no clue on tips...bring a big gun and don't miss. :haha:

2065toyota
03-14-2013, 08:50 PM
You will have a blast. If you end up needing some help look me up. Here is a pPic of a Bear I got on the La Sal mtns in 2008 with my bow. Most people don't realize the bear population around Moab. It is the highest in the state. I've seen as many as 17 in one weekend before.

accadacca
03-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Wow 2065toyota! That is a big sucker! You must have balls of steel and be a helluva shot with that bow. :hail2thechief:

oldno7
03-15-2013, 05:39 AM
Nice bear, Kody. Did he go P&Y?

My T

I have some info, will get with you Mondayish.

REDFOX
03-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Find someone with dogs and shoot your bear with your bow. Mentioned above already the bookcliff area would be a great spot to go if your tag allows it.

2065toyota
03-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Boulder Mtns have a ton of Bear. He wont have any issues that way. An the Boulders are a lot more accessible. How early do you plan on heading up? It seems like we usually started the spring hunt the first part of May.

MY T PIMP
03-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys, sorry I haven't had a chance to get back on. But my season starts April 6, but from what I'm being told, the first of May is when I should really concentrate on it. I've networked and got 2 different houndsman who are going to run dogs for me. I just got to narrow the area down to where I'm going to concentrate, as the Boulder is so huge! Kody that is a killer bear, what did it score; I'm guessing 19-20"?

Sombeech
03-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Awesome, good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

oldno7
03-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Ran hounds on Boulder for lion and bear for quite a few years. Hung out with a bunch of Wayne county boys.

Camped across from the spring on the road, North of roundup flat.

We caught quite a few bear. I would focus on Edmunds hole, always held bear. Going from Edmunds to Pole coral draw was the epicenter of our action.

Only caught a couple above highway 12, ran several DOWN from there and treed in Ponderosa's in the steep canyons, can be difficult to stay out of Capital Reef.

The prettiest bear I saw was strait blonde, probably only weighed 200lbs, we were not able to get that one, despite seeing it, it was above the road, in the Scout Lake vicinity.

Holler if you want more, like I said, a majority run down/East, can get a bit tricky on horses.(we always hunted on horses/mules)Wayne County boys didn't ride mules, something about a "cowboy code of ethics":haha:

2065toyota
06-11-2013, 10:53 PM
How did your hunt go?

MY T PIMP
03-03-2014, 09:44 AM
It was a lot of fun and educational. Bear hunting is not an easy venture, and contrary to belief dogs don't guarantee you anything. We chased several bears, the best chase was on the last day if the season, where we chased one boar over 5 miles, but after weeks of running the dogs just didn't have the stamina and the bear outran us. But it was so much fun. I would say you win some and you lose some, but even though I wasn't successful bagging a bruin, I still wouldn't have traded the experience for anything;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk