PDA

View Full Version : My new fireplace!

Byron
03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
I paint houses for a living and I've seen hundreds of gas log fireplaces. I never paid much attention to them because they look so fake, ya know? Anyway...about a month ago I turned up at this house to paint the living room and I thought "That's nice, they have a real fire burning here". It didn't take long and I realized nobody was feeding the thing and it was still flaming away. At closer inspection, I realized it was fake. I was amazed at the realism, and after inquiring about it, the homeowner told me the logs were "ceramic" not "concrete", and that makes all the difference.

I was sold, as I have a fireplace in my condo that is a PITA to get going and maintain. The problem is that it's rather small, so I can't get a suitable bed of coals down to burn bigger logs, therefore I have to keep feeding it smaller ones every 10 minutes or so to keep the flame action. The guy that hooked up the gas line today told me these ceramic logs just came out a couple years ago, hence why I've never seen them in action.

It's awesome...as the ceramics, unlike the concrete logs, glow red like real wood. So, any of you that might want to upgrade your gas logs, this is the bomb! Hargrove makes them, and I believe another company is Real Fyre. Check it out! I considered putting this in the "What made you happy today" thread, but what the hell...it's an excuse to build up my own thread count, considering lack of trips lately. Whadda ya think?

fourtycal
03-12-2013, 06:47 PM
That does look sweet.
I have an old gas log set for one of my fireplaces and it sucks. This may be the answer :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
03-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Shouldn't them horns be mounted on the front of your truck?

Byron
03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Shouldn't them horns be mounted on the front of your truck?Hey that's funny...considering I'm former hippie, a desert rat and about as far away from redneck culture as you can get, I couldn't help but buy those horns when I asked "How much?" and she said "Forty bucks". They're actually pretty neat, they have a texture like polished Ivory, or marble. If you go to a truck forum, you'll see that there are guys that proudly have them attached to the hood...mostly Texans, of course. They'll make a thread and ask "What do y'all think?"

Kinda like me on this thread, but please focus on the fire and not the redneck accruement. :mrgreen: When I mount up a horse collar next to it, then perhaps I'll have made the transition.

Sandstone Addiction
03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
That is an amazing looking fire. Never was a fan of the fake fires but I might warm up to something like this...

Byron
03-13-2013, 06:08 PM
That is an amazing looking fire. Never was a fan of the fake fires but I might warm up to something like this...Yeah, warm indeed. It's heating up the whole room. I haven't had to turn on the furnace in two days. The pictures don't do it justice...it's incredible. Take it from me, I'm the supreme master of the campfire and I'm super impressed.

oldno7
03-13-2013, 06:55 PM
I have a Napoleon gas fireplace. It works off a remote thermostat.

And the logs do look fairly real.

I've spent way too many years relying on wood heat and the burdens associated with.

No matter how you can accumulate firewood, it's cost is never $0