PDA

View Full Version : look at this post

yetigonecrazy
03-10-2013, 09:48 AM
[post removed]

Slot Machine
03-10-2013, 04:18 PM
has anyone ever been here?

But not where youd think it is.... There is also more where this came from.

Nope, haven't been there. I'm guessing it is by Trinidad, CO, based on the purgatorie.jpg image name. :ne_nau:

No disrespect Yeti, but that drainage doesn't look all that interesting. Am I missing something? Seems like your other finds were of much better quality- and I mean that as a compliment.

yetigonecrazy
03-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I guess they don't always have to be glamour slots for me to get excited. There is a good looking crack in the drainage above, and there's lots of others around. The thought of someplace radical got me going, should have reeled it in, my bad.

And yes, it is in the Purgatoire River drainage, east of Trinidad. There is a good slice of exposed Entrada out there, and there looks like a lot of possible short cracks.

I should have realized if it's not another Heaps then it isn't worth mentioning on the board. Sorry to waste your guy's time. I'll quietly withdraw and move along. :oops:

accadacca
03-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Where?

rockgremlin
03-10-2013, 05:52 PM
I should have realized if it's not another Heaps then it isn't worth mentioning on the board. Sorry to waste your guy's time. I'll quietly withdraw and move along. :oops:

:roll: :lol8:

Slot Machine
03-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I should have realized if it's not another Heaps then it isn't worth mentioning on the board.

?

Shoot man, I'm always stoked by a map post. My question was not facetious at all, I honestly thought that I was missing something... I did not see a convincing slot running north-south on the image. Thought maybe you would show us a better angle, or more of that drainage, to add to the stoke.

Based on your Capitol Reef finds, I think you have a good eye. If you find something that looks interesting, by all means, post away!

accadacca
03-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I just figured the beta police got to you via PM...

rockgremlin
03-10-2013, 06:47 PM
I just figured the beta police got to you via PM...

That's what I thought too.

Hollywood aint got nothin' on the Bogley Canyoneering forum. :haha:

Byron
03-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Hey man, if you want to go check it out, I'll go with ya. Just say when...

Udink
03-10-2013, 08:33 PM
I was expecting to find something funny in this thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo

yetigonecrazy
03-11-2013, 06:24 AM
No, no beta police. Just not worthy of your attention. There aren't any 300 foot big wall rappels or mae west sections or X rated silos. So I took it down instead of boring people.

2065toyota
03-11-2013, 08:09 PM
:roll:

jman
03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
No, no beta police. Just not worthy of your attention. There aren't any 300 foot big wall rappels or mae west sections or X rated silos. So I took it down instead of boring people.

No boredom here...post away!

rockgremlin
03-11-2013, 09:11 PM
:roll:

X2

More martyrdom than 6,000 mother-in-laws and Jesus Christ all rolled up into one!

Iceaxe
03-11-2013, 09:20 PM

You can post the weak stuff.... for the girly canyons we put 50 pounds of sand in our packs and only use 4mm accessory cord to rappel on because we are so awesome. If it's snowing we do the canyon barefoot because we are manly men.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

yetigonecrazy
03-12-2013, 04:54 AM
X2

More martyrdom than 6,000 mother-in-laws and Jesus Christ all rolled up into one!

Its not the beta police, its responses like this, and attitudes like this that made me take it down. Not sure where the martyr comment came from.....kind of a jackass thing to say really, just like the eyeroll......I thought we were all agreeing on playing fair and having respect, but, lesson learned. No more useless posts from me.

2065toyota
03-12-2013, 05:50 AM
I make lots of useless posts (not saying at all that yours was). I would also prefer you to continue to do so.

Deathcricket
03-12-2013, 08:18 AM
I came here expecting this only slot related. But thread still delivered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

Iceaxe
03-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Even the ugly girls... eer... I mean canyons... need some lovin'...

:popcorn:

Deathcricket
03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I submit this thread name be changed to "Don't look at this post". :haha:

rockgremlin
03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
I submit this thread name be changed to "Don't look at this post". :haha:

Or post with some exposed mammalia to make it NSFW and relocated. :haha:

2065toyota
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
How is your knee doing. You feel up to doing Portal Canyon with us on Saturday?

Deathcricket
03-12-2013, 01:55 PM
How is your knee doing. You feel up to doing Portal Canyon with us on Saturday?

Still jacked. :cry1:

Iceaxe
03-12-2013, 01:56 PM
If you are going to have a "look at this" thread there should at least be something to look at...

She seem's fun....

Sombeech
03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Hey yeti;

Slot Machine, like myself, can sometimes come across more rigid than intended, but in this case i find it easy to see he was just asking which feature on the satellite image looked appealing, that maybe he was missing something.

I gathered no rudeness from his question, and never any indication from anybody that a canyon must be to certain standards before inquiry.

I simply observed that he was interested in learning what feature may have caught your eye, and that he would like to see from the same perspective you had.

This is an open community and there are no requirements to be met regarding beta or simple chit chat. Some other sites may not be so catering to the novice demographic but we pride ourselves in it. Some users here will attack people on their first trip report regarding the lack of helmets but those same users will refrain themselves on other sites, but this does not represent the bogley community at large.

Please feel free to ask your questions here.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Angel
03-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Sombeech is sexy when he struts around wearing his moderator hat. :nomystery:

Byron
03-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Sombeech is sexy when he struts around wearing his moderator hat. :nomystery:NICE!!!! :lol8:

Byron
03-12-2013, 05:04 PM
BTW, Crazy Yeti...I'd want to go there simply because I've eyeballed that area as well and have never been there. I've driven over Raton Pass and looked longingly to the east wondering...

One thing to figure out before just going there with gear and camping gear is...what's public and what's private? I'm interested in poking around down there but it would be smart to know what are the no go areas first.

Some of those little canyons might be fun. Sometimes no one ventures there and it's a real wilderness experience, other times it may turn out to be an eaten up mess, full of cow flop. Who knows?

Slot Machine
03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Slot Machine, like myself, can sometimes come across more rigid than intended...

:lol8::haha::lol8::haha::lol8: :five:

Sombeech is sexy when he struts around wearing his moderator hat. :nomystery:

Byron, I have a feeling you don't want to know what is under that skirt. :eek2:

Sooo... I found a similar canyoneering adventure out there. Here is the map:

Then I zoomed, way, way, way in, using Bing Maps, 'cause that resolution is amazing, and this is what I saw:

So yes, Byron is right. There is a chance of finding an eaten up mess, full of cow flop. :nod:

yetigonecrazy
03-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Disclaimer: Maybe these canyons are girly, maybe they aren't all-star canyons, but like Byron said, sometimes being off the beaten path and finding solitude is more important than doing the deepest/darkest/narrowest. To me, the process of exploration, and finding things that look like they may be neat, and off the well-blazed trails, is something that excites me. I apologize if this beta isn't what people would expect, and I'm sorry if you are disappointed with the results.

That being said, here is what I have ascertained.

The general area is southeast CO, east of Trinidad, southeast of Pueblo, in an area loosely centered around the confluence of the Purgatoire River canyon and Chacauco Canyon. There is a landmass called "OV Mesa", that is roughly flanked on both sides by the above streams, and it has several canyons carved into that might have some fun, short canyoneering routes. I have been attempting to pinpoint the rock layer in this area, but after a day's searching, still have yet to find a bullseye strat column for the area. I THINK it might be Entrada, but I have seen varying reports for the general area and I'm not certain. :ne_nau:

Basically it doesn't look like there are any glory slots. But, there looks like there could be some short, possibly techincal slots, as well as some wider but still entrenched canyons, and plenty of technical non-slot canyoneering routes. There also looks to be potholes in a lot of places, so perhaps the combination of short + technical + potholes may yield at least a fun afternoon? I have bookmarked about six or seven canyons on Google Earth, and confirmed with alternate imaging from ArcGIS. Looks like fun.

Access is a mash up, there is the Pinon Canyon test range (connected to Fort Carson) on the river left bank of the Purgatoire, which is most definitely off limits. There are a couple of decent looking county roads that access the area from the north (north side of Chacauco) and the south (south of OV Mesa). Both look to be long drives from population centers, but could get you to within a handful of kms of your target canyon. Perhaps a multi day backpack trip, but I can't say what leaving a vehicle would be like.

Other than that....I don't know anything. If you find yourself unable to resist planning a trip, give me a holler, I'd love to tag along and see what plays out.

Iceaxe
03-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Hey... half the fun of an unknown canyon is going to check it out. :2thumbs:

There is no such thing as a bad canyon, some are just better then others.

:cool2: Thanks for sharing. :nod:

Slot Machine
03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
:cool2: Thanks for sharing. :nod:

X2 :2thumbs: Nice job yeti!

I think we are all like a bunch of sled dogs that have been pent up too long. BUT NOW THE SUN IS SHINING! TIME TO PULL!!! :rockon:

FWIW, canyon Photo #4 is my favorite. After being indoors for the past 12 weeks, I'd kill to do any of them.

Byron
03-13-2013, 09:12 PM
I'll go to the Fed Center sometime this month an pick up a couple (or few) topos to get a feel for the place. I'll come back here if I pick up some beta on the area.

yetigonecrazy
03-14-2013, 06:00 AM
I'll go to the Fed Center sometime this month an pick up a couple (or few) topos to get a feel for the place. I'll come back here if I pick up some beta on the area.

I don't know if you get them free, or if you like to have the full size pages (completely understandable), or if you already knew this, but you can get any Colorado 1:24,000 USGS 7.5 min quad free at this website (http://libremap.org/data/state/colorado/drg/). They are all in TIFF format but overall its a pretty bitchin' resource.

oldno7
03-14-2013, 07:41 AM
cool looking area:2thumbs:

Byron
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
cool looking area:2thumbs: Yeah, I've been scoping it out too...going back a while, in fact.

For those interested in where it is, Google Map southeastern Colorado, due south of Lamar to a canyon system with the orange rock rims. With close inspection, there are ranches dotted all around, and lots of dirt roads, too. My question is, how much of this is private land? It would be a bummer to drive all the way down there, truck loaded for boondock camping, only to be confronted with lots of locked gates and "No Trespassing" signs. Now that my interest is piqued on this place, I'd like to find that out...I need to look at a map showing what's public/private property before I even think of cruising down there.