PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota Signs Law Teachers Can Carry Guns in Classroom

Sombeech
03-08-2013, 02:03 PM
South Dakota Republican Gov. Dennis Daugaard on Friday signed into law a bill to allow teachers to carry guns in the classroom.

The education community stiffly opposed the measure, according the Rapid City Journal. With it, school boards can decide whether to adopt

Iceaxe
03-08-2013, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=Sombeech;529250]Though some states have provisions in their gun laws allowing teachers to carry firearms in the classroom, South Dakota

Sombeech
03-08-2013, 09:42 PM
That is kinda misleading..... if I'm not mistaken, Utah law allows anyone, including teacher's, to carry provided they have a concealed carry permit.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

This can vary from school district to school district, and sometimes even school to school. Well, what really varies is each administrators support for the concept. I think it could definitely be made more clear.

For those afraid of teachers being allowed to carry in Utah if some bill passes, get used to it because it is legal right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Iceaxe
03-08-2013, 09:55 PM
I believe the Utah supreme court says you can carry in any PUBLIC school. This was a big to-do a couple years ago when the U of U tried to ban firearms from campus and was told they couldn't do it.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Sandstone Addiction
03-09-2013, 06:26 AM
My co-workers husband is a high school teacher in the Alpine Disctrict and he was told that although it was legal to carry concealed on school property, he would be terminated if he did.

Iceaxe
03-09-2013, 06:45 AM
The school board can say it, but they can't do it.

Also, I never advertise when I'm carrying and when I'm not. Really the last thing I want anyone to know is when I'm unarmed.

I'm guessing if I were a teacher and I was forced to draw my weapon the last thing I would be concerned with is dealing with the school board making illegal threats.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

mxerhale
03-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Amen brother. The school board can tell teachers not to carry but anyone with a permit still could by law. I would just be extra discreet about it. I know of a few high school and elementary teachers who always carry and I can't believe that more of them don't.