PDA

View Full Version : Help Is there anywhere in Utah that I can go camping comfortably in March?

brschultz90
03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm going to Utah in about a week with my boyfriend and some friends. We plan on staying in SLC for a few days to hit up some mountains for snowboarding. But my friends were also wanting to camp and hike. We don't mind driving, but I'm concerned there won't be anywhere that isn't still cold/wet during March. I'd love to take them camping/hiking but they aren't exactly seasoned campers so I don't see them having much fun if it's freezing/raining. Does anyone have any suggestions on a place/places that would most likely be comfortable? Doesn't have to be 75 degrees and sunny. Just not freezing/miserable. Also, if nowhere in Utah, does anyone know of anywhere nearby? Thanks for any and all help!

erial
03-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Mesquite/St George/Springdale area will likely have daytime temps in the 60s to 70s. 300 mile drive. If road conditions are good, the Swell might be closer with similar weather conditions.

brschultz90
03-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Thank you so very much! That really helps me out. :D

Sandstone Addiction
03-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Not sure how far you want to travel, but the low elevation desert on the Colorado Plateau is usually great in March. Moab is very popular with many options and people, Capitol Reef NP, Goblin Valley SP (Little Wild Horse, Ding and Dang, etc.), Escalante (Lower Calf Creek Falls, etc.) and many, many more places. You'll have to drive at least 3.5 hours from SLC to get to them though (well worth it, IMHO :nod:)

If it works out, we'd love to see a trip report...

brschultz90
03-02-2013, 12:13 PM
I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions. It really helps getting this advice from outdoor enthusiasts because no one knows better! I moved to northern California from northern Texas two years ago and am new to exploring the outdoors (obviously there wasn't much to see in northern Texas unless you like flat land, muddy rivers and mesquite trees). I have really been missing out all these years! I hope to travel, hike, and camp all over the states. I am really thankful for you guys helping me choose a place to start in the Utah area. I will definitely take lots of pictures and post a trip report once when we get back. Thanks again!!

jman
03-02-2013, 03:46 PM
If you want a fun adventure for the whole family, Goblin Valley State park and Little Wild Horse Canyon And Bell Canyon hoop (less than 10miles away from Goblin Valley) make for a fun slot canyon hike. And in March in wont be scorching hot either but very pleasant. And you can get to Goblin Valley in about 4hrs from SLC.

accadacca
03-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Ditto on Goblin Valley... :2thumbs:

BruteForce
03-04-2013, 04:39 AM
Goblin Valley, San Rafael Swell area. I just came back home (3 days there). Daytime temps were in the mid-to-high 50's! Sweatshirts mostly..

Rob L
03-04-2013, 02:23 PM
...Doesn't have to be 75 degrees and sunny. Just not freezing/miserable. ..!

You wouldn't like camping in England, then, even in the summer!

:cold: :eek2:

JONBOYLEMON
03-13-2013, 03:31 PM
3 cheers for Goblin Valley!!!!!! Just do it. There are campgrounds at the park that might be worth looking into. A warm shower is always a nice touch.