PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Merry Piglet, Morocco, and Maidenwater

Scott P
02-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Here's an album of our latest trip to North Wash:

http://www.summitpost.org/north-wash-slots-february-2013/839489

Because I didn't take these photos, I will link them, but I will post some more later.

Briefly:

February 16: Merry Piglet

Matt Lemke, Kessler, Shaylee, my dad, and I decided to explore Merry Piglet Canyon in North Wash. We got a late start because we stayed in Grand Junction and I picked up Matt there and picked up my dad in Green River.
After starting just before lunch we made our way into the canyon and descended on down. Most of the canyon was dry, but there was a very cold pool about four feet deep in the canyon. By using small ledges on the side of the pool, it was only two feet deep, but I had to wade the pool three times, including the deep part twice to carry Kessler and Shaylee across. Other than that it was a nice and routine trip through a slot canyon.

February 17: Maidenwater Canyon/Trail Canyon/Turkey Knob

In the morning we (Matt Lemke, Kessler, Shaylee, my dad, and I) decided to do the Maidenwater/Trail Canyon Loop. We had also thought of doing the Jilted Fork/Blushing Bride, but when we got there, there was running water coming out of it (which isn't ideal for February)! Maidenwater was very pretty, but there was lots of knee to waist deep wading. I carried Shaylee across all the pools, but Kessler had to resort to wading. The falls and chockstone that is usually in the canyon was gone! Flash floods had filled it in with gravel.

After a beautiful, but cold (with the water) hike to Trachyte Creek, we followed the creek down canyon to Trail Canyon which we exited. Trail Canyon isn't quite as scenic as Maidenwater, but it is mostly dry and you don't have to wade, so it was a pleasant hike out.
After exiting Trail Canyon, we explored a little up into the lower end of the South Fork of Maidenwater Canyon, but a pothole and dryfall stopped us after not too long. The dryfall is climbable with dry shoes, but our feet were covered with greasy mud, so we couldn't climb the drop.

After exploring the canyons Matt and I climbed Turkey Knob for the fine views. My dad didn't climb the final ledges. After enjoying the fine views we descended the peak and headed back to camp.

February 18: Morocco Canyon

Matt, Kessler, Shaylee, and I decided to do a loop through Morocco Canyon. My dad decided to hike the non-technical section of Hog Springs Canyon instead. The entrance route was an exciting approach along a ledge that was followed to near the head of the canyon. Once in the canyon, it was a beautiful, but fairly short slot. There were several challenging downclimbs and a few rappels. The only mishap was that Shaylee scraped her hand on a rock, but other than that, everything went well and it was a good time.
An event worth mentioning is that the night before was extremely windy. The tent would collapse in the wind at night. One of the camp chairs also blew into the fire and burned.

peakbaggers
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the report, Scott, and Matts photos on SummitPost. Looks like you have Shaylee rappelling on her own now. I remember how disapppointed she was last February when you let Kessler try his first but not her. Fearless kids!
I assume there was either no water in Morocco or low enough to get around without diving in?

Scott P
02-25-2013, 11:00 AM
I assume there was either no water in Morocco or low enough to get around without diving in?

The water in Morocco was avoidable with some stemming.

Rob L
02-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Is it safe to assume it's the same Matt Lemke who puts some wonderful photos on GE?

Iceaxe
02-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Lower Maidenwater is a great hike. I need to remember to include this canyon when hikers ask for easy/fun slot canyon info.

Thanks for the TR :2thumbs:

jman
02-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Is it safe to assume it's the same Matt Lemke who puts some wonderful photos on GE?

X2. Just randomly exploring around southern Utah in GE I'm like hey, finally a photo of this area - and more often than not its Matt Lemkes. :2thumbs:

Scott P
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Lower Maidenwater is a great hike. I need to remember to include this canyon when hikers ask for easy/fun slot canyon info.

FYI, the dropoff in there is gone. It seems to come and go with different floods.

I'm not familiar with GE, but I assume so since he takes lots of photos.

Iceaxe
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
FYI, the dropoff in there is gone. It seems to come and go with different floods.

The drop off disappeared about 10 years ago and hasn't returned. The boulder causeing the problem washed out. It's just that for some reason I always forget about this slot when hikers ask me for slot info. Heck the slot has been on my website for the past 10 years.

Lower Maidenwater Beta (http://climb-utah.com/Powell/maidl.htm)

Scott P
02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
The drop off disappeared about 10 years ago and hasn't returned.

I see. Last time I did the canyon was May 2003 with Ryan Cornia and Steve Brezovec. The chockstone was still there and a challenge to climb up. It must have disappeared shortly after. Several years before that a sandstone chockstone was in there that caused a small drop/big swimhole.

penmartens
02-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the report, Scott, and Matts photos on SummitPost. Looks like you have Shaylee rappelling on her own now. I remember how disapppointed she was last February when you let Kessler try his first but not her. Fearless kids!

If I remember right, Shaylee rapped on her own with her dad on a separate rope slightly below her. Don't sell the girl short. She's going to keep pace with her brother just fine.

The pool in Merry Piglet is only a couple years old. It wasn't there when it was first 'discovered'. It used to be about a 5 foot squeeze to a sandy level floor. There was no hint that there was a pothole there.

Mountaineer
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the TR! I need to share this one with my daughter. "See, scrapes sometimes happen but it isn't too bad!"

I took her through Merry Piglet, and the last rap (I recall the last two being very narrow and awkward starts) she pinched her finger in the rap device. I was able to free her OK, but she still remembers the event. :cry1:

Scott P
02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
She's going to keep pace with her brother just fine.

Two days ago, here they are side by side:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/295681_489279354469192_2063669836_n.jpg

Scott P
02-26-2013, 07:12 PM
The drop off disappeared about 10 years ago and hasn't returned.

Shane, I just noticed that a bogley trip report from May 2010 had the dropoff. Check it out:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?54801-Info-Lower-Maidenwater-to-Trachyte-Creek-to-Lake-Powell-back-by-Swett-Creek

I guess that it comes and goes with the flash floods.

Iceaxe
02-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Hmmm... looks like you might be right.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3